There are many reasons why I would consider myself addicted to the sport of running. One of them is because my life was completely out of my control before I became a runner.

I saw the life I wanted, I saw the person I wanted to be, but felt powerless to make the changes I needed to make. I wanted quick fixes and was not willing to put in the time and effort it takes to take the small steps that eventually add up to big changes.

I was overweight.

THEN

While I may not be obese in this picture, I might as well have been. The ME in this picture is someone who was not happy with herself.
The good news is that I am proof positive that you can take charge of your life, no matter how old you are! Running saved my life in many, many ways.

NOW

Have you entered the GU Energy Gel Giveaway? CLICK HERE to enter

Comments

1. Amen…this is what I was like before I started running. It is corny but it has saved me in so many ways…

2. Running is such a wonderful thing! I am so glad I started running 2 years ago :)

3. Finallyfit2011 says:

DITTO!!!! …and for the record you were beautiful before to :) But I always seeing the healthy transformations people can make!!! So inspiring :)

4. enthusiasticrunner.com says:

Love this post!! I am so glad you put it up! It is really inspirational.

5. I love stories of running changing lives! Thank you for sharing :).

6. Yeah! Me too- I gained more than 100 with my pregnancys and lost myself. Losing the weight, and finding my way back to running helped me find myself again. And so those who dont get that, cant truly get why I love it like I do. Love the post!

7. I have been where you were and I too did not like me. I always had a hard time understanding how my hubby could love me when I didnt love myself like that. I guess that is called unconditional love. But now I love me. Now I just wish my hubby was more understanding when it comes to my running. Great post. Love seeing how far other people have come in their journies.

8. I've been back and forth from being fit to fat and right now I'm in the middle. Great post for reminding me that I am a runner (now I just need to behave like one).

9. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

Dorothy, you are a huge inspiration! Thank you so much!

10. katierunsthis.com says:

I have almost an identical "before" photo. And, it seems that I was in much the same mental state when I decided to make a change in my life…a change for the better…a change to take control and be the person mentally and physically that I wanted to be. I had finally gotten to my "ideal" when I found out my husband and I were expecting. So, here I sit, going on 33 weeks, look A LOT like my "before". While its easy for my brain to look in the mirror and say, its just baby weight, I would be lying if my heart didn't sink a little getting on the scale. Being fit is a daily battle for some, but thanks for reminding me that it is a battle worth fighting!

11. Jen @ Run for Anna says:

Great post! Thank you for sharing.

12. Happy 500! Amen sister–running totally saves.

13. Shoot! I started to read this and was hoping you were going to go into more detail about your life pre-running.

Can we have a follow up post? Please!!

14. I know exactly what you mean because it happened to me! You look beautiful!

Regardless of weight, health and happiness are what is important. Running is a piece of that puzzle for many many people. I'm glad you found the piece that helped you get your puzzle coming together. Now you are a great inspiration to many who are still trying to get those pieces together for themselves.

16. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

Hot mama!

17. Wow – you're amazing! Happy 500th post

18. What an inspiration, on so many levels!

19. I have a very similar before and after story. Thanks for sharing- it very inspiring! It's so worth it, isn't it?

20. I'm so glad you shared this. Even though we talked about it a lot during the relay, it was still hard for me to comprehend. And in my mind, I couldn't connect the person I saw now to the person you said you were before. You are such an inspiration to so many, Dorothy! Not only because you changed your life through running, but also because of the passion you have for the sport. And it's that passion that makes you not only an awesome runner, but a pretty amazing person too :)

21. I strongly agree ….!, So don't underestimate the running……!

22. Would you mind if I ask how much weight you lost? Is it all from running?

I lost 30+ lbs — it wasn't all at once. I went down, I went back up, went down….you know the drill…it was from running, eating better, and changing bad habits :)

24. Rachel McPhillips says:

That's awesome!! I understand about not feeling like yourself. I've lost 20 lbs.. still want at least 5 more gone, possibly 10. I'm much closer now then I used to be! :)

25. Run with Jess says:

you are such an inspiration!!

26. Love this …. you are so inspiring!!