After I wrote my running goals post for 2013 I really started to analyze my goals and why they were what they were. I think introspection on multiple levels is what I REALLY need in 2013.
Here are my thoughts. random. raw.
Other than my 10 mile time my goals remained the same for 2013 as they were for 2012.
In 2012 I took my marathon PR from a 3:13 to a 3:11. While I love having a time that is two minutes faster it still isn’t the sub 3:10 I had wanted.
I didn’t race any half marathons so my PR remained the same. Not sure why I set it as a goal if I didn’t even bother signing up for one half marathon.
My 10K and 5K goals were after thoughts – I believed that if I PR’ed at the marathon the 10K and 5K would just follow. Problem was that I raced those distances when I wasn’t in peak shape – so they too remained unchanged from 2011.
The 10 mile distance was the only race that I had what I would consider a significant break through – taking my time from a 1:12 to a 1:06. Again – it wasn’t a focus – it happened as a result of being in shape for Marine Corps Marathon.
I know in 2013 I won’t focus on the 5K or the 10K. I don’t love either distance and while YES I do like racing them – I’m not going to train for them specifically so why am I writing them down as one of my BIG goals for 2013?
I do like 10 milers and half marathons but I should keep them as my goals only if I plan on training for them and signing up for them.
My marathon goal is close enough to my 3:11 that I think I can achieve it with decent training. What I keep asking myself is – will I be any happier with a 3:0X PR than I am with a 3:11 PR? Maybe – but it won’t be as a result of the time on the clock. If I am happier it will be because of the journey, because of the obstacles I will have to overcome to get there or because of the friends I make along the way.
So why does all this number talk matter?
It matters because I want to run the extra .2 this year. I don’t just want to be one of those runners that is so wrapped up in myself that I only care about achieving PR’s. This year I want to do more when it comes to running and I don’t just want that MORE to be MORE miles. I want it to be something that makes a difference in my life but also the lives of others.
The .2 signifies giving my all when I think I have nothing left. It is the .2 left after running 26 miles.
I’m starting to believe that when I am weak then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:10 – Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
I’m really weak right now. Maybe this means I’m strong? Or maybe it means that being strong or FINDING YOUR STRONG isn’t something that happens once – maybe it’s something that has to happen daily [thanks Tess].
So my goals have changed. It might take me a couple of posts to work through all the goals I have and I know it’s going to take me longer to figure out how to achieve them or maybe even do them period – BUT – I will figure it out. Step by step. Day by day. I will get there.
Here are a few of my revised 2013 goals:
- I want to use all the strength I’ve gained stroller running, for good. I want to push a child who can not run in a race. My dream would be to push them for a marathon. I often see this during marathons and each and every time it brings me to tears.
- I want to run a race for charity. I’ve never fund raised for a race before. I’ve always asked myself – why would I? Why would anyone donate to my cause? Having run 23 marathons it is not like I’m doing something out of my comfort zone by running a marathon. I always saw it as just asking people for money. I don’t like asking people for anything – much less money. I want to find a cause that means something to me and I want to find a running goal that takes me out of my comfort zone and combine the two by racing for a charity.
- I want to pace someone in a race and help them achieve their DREAM BIG goal – whether this is running a marathon with a friend or showing up and buddy running with a girl at a Girls On The Run race – I don’t know yet. I only know that I want to be a part of helping someone get to the finish line.
- I want to help two of my coaching clients BQ. Boston Marathon isn’t about the race. It isn’t about the bragging rights. It’s about something much much deeper. It’s about setting a goal for yourself and working towards it. It’s about picking yourself up and trying again, and again and again until you get that goal. I want to do everything in my power to help these girls get there.
- I want to make a difference in the life of someone I do not know. I’m not sure now how or when, but I want to embrace the unknown in 2013.
At the end of the day – having a lower marathon PR does nothing to leave something behind. In 2013 I want to make a difference even if it’s a small tiny spec in the scheme of things.
Do I still want a sub 3:10 marathon? Of course. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. But I only want it if it comes as a result of making a difference and not as a result of an obsession with a time on a clock.
- Jan 1: 6.2 miles
- Jan 2: 6.2 miles
- Jan 3: 4.2 miles
I will go the extra .2
Mile Posts Blog is on: