Post Run Smiles

I do not have to run, I get to run.

I do not have to push a triple running stroller, I get to push a triple running stroller!

I’ve often thought about how I do not really make plans for my life anymore. I have goals, dreams, aspirations but as for how I am going to go about achieving them, I do not make a specific plan. I have long since learned that God’s plans for my life are greater than my own. I am along for the ride and it’s faith that gets me through.

When I talk about faith I do not just mean in the spiritual sense, I mean in every aspect of my life – I have faith. I had faith that my summer running would work out, even though two weeks ago I had no idea how.

Last week my husband was gone all week on a business trip. It was the first time that it was just me for that many days with my little people. On Monday and Tuesday I drove to my mother in law’s house so she could watch the kids while I ran. Monday I ran 10 great miles, same for Tuesday morning. I realized at that point that I had just broke my all time 7 day mileage PR of 55 miles by one mile, all I needed was 4 more miles to hit 60 for the first time ever. So I did a double. 4 afternoon miles on the treadmill put me at 60 miles.

When I was finishing up the last mile, running in the 7’s – the smile on my face was enormous. I felt so strong and happy and really, really proud of myself for doing something that I never dreamed possible. It made it all that much more sweeter that it happened when I was concerned about how I was going to make it work this summer.

We are only limited by the limits we place on ourselves.

This Monday on my way home from my first run with all three kids ever [me pushing the double while my friend Ashley pushed the single], an email went out to my running club from the only other runner I know who has a triple running stroller. She was ready to let ‘big red’ go for $75 to anyone crazy enough to push three kids like her. Instantly my phone began to ring from friends who had seen the email and wanted to make sure I had seen it and emailed her. As fate would have it, if they had not done that, I would not have been first to email, two other families were interested in it and would buy it if I wasn’t going to.

Tuesday we became the PROUD owners of ‘big red’ – the most awesome triple running stroller EVER!

Thursday we took her out for her maiden voyage with the Beal family. 6.5 WONDERFUL miles. Chloe and I sang on the first mile, We are running, running, running. To say I was happy/giddy is an understatement. As my watch clicked to the 2nd mile it read – 8:18. Seriously GOD – thanks for always looking out for a girl!

The run was 6.5 miles, not 7, because there is a giant hill near my house. It literally took all my might to push that stroller up that hill walking – running was out of the question. This morning I woke up – super excited to head out for a 2nd run pushing the kids and was already wondering if I could push the limits of my body.

When I tell you this is the hardest FULL body workout I have ever done, I am NOT kidding. This is no joke. My butt muscles are sore in places I never even knew could get sore.

9 miles this morning pushing all three of my little running buddies. I’m in heaven people, heaven.

I don’t have to push a triple running stroller. I GET TO PUSH A TRIPLE RUNNING STROLLER. I feel FREE!!!!

p.s. A super duper special thank you to Monique for selling me this stroller – you are an amazingly strong runner/triathlete/ironwoman and I admire you for pushing your three in this stroller and now giving me the opportunity to do the same with mine!!! We promise to take care of ‘big red’

Ready for triple stroller run #2

My view – I love all 30 of these little toes!
Walking home from the park after our run

Comments

1. crewser says:

wow, you are awesome! so glad to hear you got your triple stroller. I love how you have so much faith that things will work out. I need to work on this. I tend to try to always have a plan/schedule, and sometimes life is just not like that. This is a great example of learning to let go and having faith that things will turn out okay. Thanks for sharing this. I needed it today!

2. Rachel McPhillips says:

Wowza woman!! I know how hard a single running stroller is to push.. and I have two kids, so I should probably have a double.. You go girl!

3. you ROCK!!!! thanks for this post! it helped remind me how incredibly lucky i am and to stop looking at things negatively and turn it into a positive :) have a great weekend!

4. Kim K. says:

Ok this post brought tears to my eyes! I'm a Christ follower, so hearing about your faith was an A+ for me!! THEN the blessing of your triple stroller totally floored me AND your awesome attitude of "I don't have to run – I get to run"… AWESOME!!! Then finally I have to say you are one tough mother to tote all three!!! I have run w/ my single stroller w/ #1 my 9 month boy I babysit and #2 my 50 lb. 6 yr. old daughter & it is NO EASY TASK!!! Great Job!!!

No wonder you have such great abs! Pushing just my one is a workout. Amazing.

6. Jessica (Pace of Me) says:

Go Dorothy, Go!!! This post had me smiling from ear to ear from the second I started reading it. I am so very inspired by you – your running, your faith, your dedication, your passion … The list goes on and on and on. HOORAY for BIG RED!!! Ps we have always called our double stroller "big orange" – maybe they need a play date :-)

Thanks ladies! I promise though that I think negatively all the time – I am a work in progress and continually have to remind myself how lucky we all are if we just look at things differently :)

p.s. Shelly – 100% the stroller helps the abs – I'm pretty sure my arms would be super flabby too if it weren't for the stroller :) and I still think pushing 1 is a workout – I totally just love moms/dads/friends etc – who push strollers and run!! Fingers crossed I can be an ultramarathoner like you one day – hehe

8. Katie says:

First, you are amazing!! Running so fast pushing a triple stroller . . . great job! Second, I totally agree . . . God's plans for our lives are always so much better than we could plan ourselves.

9. Samantha says:

Wow – Triple stroller? That is intense! :)

10. Christy says:

Wow amazing! I was thinking of you the other day. I'm trying to figure out how to get my workouts in without taking away from my family (since I already work a full time job). This posts just affirms that I need to trust in God that he will make ways for it to work out….. you are truly an inspiration plus you totally rock for pushing big red!

11. mickiruns says:

you. are. crazy.

in a totally good way. 😉

congrats momma. you're such an inspiration!!

12. Stephanie says:

WOW you are amazing!! I am always bummed when the moms with the strollers passme, you totally would. way to rock that run. i love that "you don't have to run, I get to run" quote, awesome

13. Karen the "Hungry Mom" says:

Dang girl nice job! I'll think of you when I'm feeling tired in my long run this weekend pushing no one!

14. Beana says:

Girl, you are inspirational!! Although I must say, if my 3 were close like yours, I'd probably be in the market for a triple myself! I have no problem pushing my double. My oldest is way too big now though for a stroller. But this summer, since she is out of school, I'll be pushing her on her bike mileage while I run hopefully!

15. Anna Crouch says:

WOW! You inspire me! I've been realizing lately that the success of my running has SO much to do with my perspective. Sometimes I feel like "man, I thought I fueled myself well enough for this run, why don't I have the energy?" But then when I changed my perspective, all the sudden, the run didn't seem as tiring or difficult. Thanks for the reminder "I don't have to run, I get to run."

16. Danielle112 says:

So inspiring. I knew it would work out for you and your kiddos! You go girl 😉

17. Allison says:

Oh my gosh. Wow. You are amazing! I l LOOOOOOOVE my little guys, but a triple stroller sounds AWFUL to me! You have such a great attitude!!! YOU ROCK!

18. SupermomE12 says:

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Love ya Coach Dorothy! :)

19. Fit B says:

Amazing!!! I love love 'big red' and your strength and determination to run with all 3! I know how hard it is pushing my 1 now I will not huff and puff so much going up hills with her hehe

Amazing! Can you post on how you get all 3 to sit in the stroller for 9 miles? My little guy does great up to 45 minutes. If he's tired I can get an hour out of him. I have to save the longer runs for when I'm on my own.

21. undeterrable says:

Wow. Just wow. The is the only word I have for this. You are amazing!

22. XLMIC says:

Unbelievable! I am feeling lucky right now because I don't get to push a triple jogger when I run 😉

You go, girl! You are going to be the strongest runner EVAH!

23. colourful says:

Yes, we get to. We get to run. And you're amazing, awesome and strong!
    And I really love your faith – this is just true some things just work out!
    Thanks, this is so inspiring!
    Love!

You are a superwoman and such an inspiration for a mom of 2 like myself who is training for her first full marathon!

25. I had no idea that triple running strollers even existed! I have a friend who just had her 3rd baby – this would be perfect for her! Thanks for letting us know!

26. Lizzy says:

Wow, you are seriously impressive. That is absolutely amazing!!!

27. mojamala2 says:

YOu seriously amaze me with this running stroller. I hope when I have kids that I keep running and can be just as amazing and dedicated as you!

28. Katie M says:

Awesome! What a good find–$75!! I got my double BOB stroller used. It made me so happy to read that you think pushing the stroller makes you a better runner. It is a great workout (mine are 5 and almost 4). I do my short runs with them. It's a great way to get us all some fresh air while I get my exercise!

29. We've got a triple Runabout jogger and a Kool-Stride double purple monster. I will admit to never actually using the triple for running, it's a serious beast. Hills are killers pushing these bad boys. You get major props for going those distances and you've got kids with amazing patience!

30. Katherine says:

Dorothy, what stroller is this?

I remembered you posting this and came and searched for it now hoping for clues. These strollers are hard to find, and I have been searching craigslist for months for a used one with no luck. I am about to pay for one full price (though I may have to SELL A KIDNEY to pay for it), and was curious what you think of this model? I am in Portland, Oregon too – so it is hilly and while I am all about the workout, I am so worried about slipping while going down hill. I don't know any other moms who have a triple jogger, so I am pestering blogs I read for help.

31. Slow day at work and I’m having so much fun going back and rereading all of your stroller posts. This one makes me smile! I LOVE LOVE LOVE pushing my six month old baby around in his stroller while I’m running. I feel like super woman. i love chatting with him. And I do feel so free when I’m out there.

With my 8 year old on his bike next to me, my dog on his leash leading the way, and the baby in the stroller, running is certainly a family event in our house!

32. LOVE this :) I ran with my little dogs when I was preggo with #1 but after I had her I gave up on that idea – way too much for me to handle 😉 Can’t wait till my daughter can ride her bike next to me too!!

33. I just got a triple jogging stroller yesterday! I took the kids to the park today, and just walking on the slightest uphill wore me out! Maybe someday I can actually run pushing it! Haha :)

34. YAY – this makes me happy!! What one did you get? It’s hard but I promise it does get easier!

35. Its a Baby Jogger Q-Series Triple Stroller. It’s big and red too! :) I found it on Craigslist. I need to get a new tube for one of the tires, so that might make it a bit easier to push.

36. Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site, because i want
    enjoyment, since this this web site conations really pleasant funny material too.

37. Nicole says:

Is there any chance you would like to sell your triple running stroller? I can’t find one anywhere (I live in Miami) and have tried various times on Ebay, but have been outbid at the last minute. I have 3 under 3 and have been unable to jog with all of them. If there is any chance you are ready to unload it, please email me! I love your photos and blog.

Sincerely,
    Mommy of 3 under 3 from Miami

38. Brynn says:

I keep coming across your triple jogging stroller posts as i am searching for a triple jogging stroller. You are awesome and your times. You go girl. Can’t wait to run with three. Hope to find one in Alaska or one they will ship here.

39. Love your blog post! I am in desperate need of a triple jogging stroller- do you have any idea where to find them used? I’ve scoured craigslist for days. I’ve read awful reviews for the only one still manufactured- BeBe Love. I’d love to find a baby jogger one somewhere! Any info would be so helpful!