As I ran this morning pushing baby C, I concluded that I am the Queen of RANDOM PR’s[yes I did indeed crown myself]. I love pushing myself farther and faster and I do not need to pay for a race to have that feeling of accomplishment.

There are many PR’s I set alone on the road, or with my kids in tow, that mean more to me than half of my marathons. These PR’s probably mean nothing to you, some of them you may not even understand[triple stroller run], but that does not matter to me.

Why? Because my PR’s are my PR’s and they make me happy even if they mean nothing to anyone else on this planet. That is one of the TRULY BEAUTIFUL things about running. A PR is a PERSONAL record – your record may be 5 miles someone elses may be a 50K. It does not make them MORE of a runner than you. What matters is that you are continually striving for improvement[whatever your definition of improvement may be].

One of the many great things about obscure PR’s is that they can motivate you! This morning I wanted to run 10 miles – I was tired – it was hot – I was pushing baby C – I wanted to quit – but I knew if I ran 10 miles it would be a single stroller PR. Knowing this, I was motivated to run ALL 10 miles.

Have you raced a bazillion 5K’s only to feel disappointed in your time? Race a 5K alone on a track – maybe you will PR, maybe you won’t – but the pressure will likely be off. If you PR – you are happy to tell the world of your accomplishment. Run no faster than you normally do and only you know that you were attempting to run faster.

Your fast is FAST.

Don’t compare your times to others. If you ran a 12 minute mile last year and this year you run an 11 minute mile – you are fast.

If you ran a 6 minute mile last year and this year you run a 5 minute mile – you are fast.

Do not get caught up in your times compared to others – only compare your times to your times and you will feel HAPPIER about your running.

My random PR’s for the month of July.

Triple Stroller Run: 10 Miles – 1:29
Single Stroller Run: 10 Miles – 1:26
Treadmill Mile: 5:39
Week Mileage High: 66

If you had asked me 10 years ago if one day I could do these four things – I would have told you….you were insane.

Have I told you lately how much I LOVE running?

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

I love this! Words to live by! I see u have done mcm a bunch, I am doing it this yea, my first!

2. Allison says:

This is awesome!

3. Running Moose says:

Nice PR's!! I love to get PR's, race or not. I have quite a few PR's that were not from races and I love them!! I view these attempts s necessary for speed training, to push myself to the next level!

4. Jess K says:

Words to live by! Sometimes I get so annoyed that I have to run by myself because nobody else runs as slow as I do, but I always enjoy checking my Garmin at the end and thinking "at least I was up and doing something instead of sitting on the couch."

5. David H. says:

Very cool PRs. That takes a lot of dedication too to keep track of. I'm loving running a lot too these days!

6. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

I love that you record these PRs. What an inspiration!

7. Megan says:

Great post! It's always a good reminder that it's only a race against yourself and not others. When I started to run, I loved the idea of a PR, it was MINE not anyone else's. By the way, you are bad ass for running 10 miles with a stroller!

8. Wifey says:

Loving your logic. This is my first time here … looking forward to reading more.

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

9. Julie D. says:

I love it!! if we are improving…we are fast!! Congrats on your new PR!! :)

10. Michelle @ The Cooking Life says:

Dorothy, this is EXACTLY what I needed to read today. Thank you!

11. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

Awesome post Dorothy and so very true. Running is something you should only compare yourself to yourself.

I told me dear hubby just the other week, I don't care how "slow" someone is running. If they are doing the best they can, then they are doing an awesome job! This was in reponse to him stating my pace was too slow….it was at the time but it was the best I could do in that moment.

12. allpointswhole says:

This is so great. I admire you for running while pushing one kid yet alone three. And you are so right about not comparing yourself to other runners. It will literally suck the life out of your experience.

13. Lauren says:

I really love this! And I think what you said about pressure is so true. When I ran cross country/track, sometimes I'd get so caught up in comparing my times to my teammates and the pressure to do well in a race that I'd crumple. It honestly wasn't until I started running on my own and marathon training that I truly started to believe I could run certain times/distances. Now I like to go out and just for fun – see if I can go further or faster than I have before. Those little things in running are just a great way to keep yourself motivated.

14. Christy says:

Thanks for the post. I was just having a pitty party that I wasn't as fast as someone else moment. I have to keep in mind I'm racing against myself and no body else!!!