Saturday’s run began like any other, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I felt hot and extra sweaty but knew that the humidity was causing me to sweat more and it was not evaporating like it should.

I was running with a friend who needed to kick it in on the last two miles and so I agreed to try to run faster with her. Despite feeling strong for the first 10 miles, I felt weak when trying to run at a faster pace. My legs felt like they were not working and every step felt like I was dragging.

Mile 11: 7:37

I was concerned that there was no way I could keep up that pace for the last mile. The good and bad about running with a friend is that you feel accountable. I do not want to be the person that falls off the pace. I do not want to give up.

Mile 12: 7:25

I immediately stopped the second I heard my Garmin beep and started dry heaving. This was not the typical end of race feeling that I occasionally get. I had not pushed it in at a 6 or sub 6 minute pace. I was running in the 7’s – which should be manageable.

I bent over, I stood up, I talked, I walked – but I could not shake the feeling that at any moment I was going to yack. It continued for hours after I got home – till it clicked with me.

I was dehydrated AGAIN.

So you are asking, how does a girl who loves nuun, who has been racing for 10+ years keep getting dehydrated? Here’s how….

The average person should drink 8, 8 ounce glasses of water a day or somewhere around that. Now add to the fact that I typically run around 40 or more miles a week causing me to sweat more than the average person, and thus loose more fluids. Then add in the fact that I am a nursing mommy and wait I’m not done, add in the crazy humidity this week which is causing me to sweat more than my already normal super sweaty self does.

I need to drink an INSANE amount of water a day.

Thankfully adding nuun to my water actually makes me want to drink water because I feel as if I am fighting off dehydration every day.

The problem that I have with drinking the correct amount lies in the fact that I am pretty sure my bladder is the size of a lima bean. When I drink enough water I am in the bathroom all day.

How much water do you drink a day? Do you drink nuun? What is your favorite flavor?

Comments

1. Oh NO! Glad you are trying to drink more water. I try to drink at least 3-5 liters of water a day. I have a one liter bottle that I refill often. The only downfall is that I do have to go to the bathroom all the time! I have never tried nuun….I might have too!
    I did a ragnar relay race (200 mile relay) this weekend and it was incredibly humid. I was super careful about staying hydrated.

Is Nuun like Gatorade (electrolytes?) If so, my doctor told me when dehydrated (I had the stomach flu) I couldn't just drink Gatorade. At most, he wanted me to cut it in 1/2 with water, but he preferred that I not drink it. When you are dehydrated, your body just needs the water. I had on and off nausea that wasn't gone until I got enough fluids back in, so I know how that feels – miserable! Feel better!

3. Been there…felt that. Yikes!! I remember nursing and having to drink A LOT more water than normal…and I wasn't running at the time! I try and drink at least 3-4 camelback water bottles during my work shift (but yes, it causes me to pee like 3000 times a day)and limit my sodas to one a day. I'm not a nunn person, I'm not even sure I've ever tried it.

4. Dorothy, I don't know if you also know about Endurolytes – I will get the technical description wrong, but they help with absorption when you're drinking tons of water (and less expensive than just drinking Nuun). Worth looking into, anyway – I can't handle Gatorade or other sugar-based drinks and these have been a lifesaver through training for multiple marathons and IMs. http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes.elt.html

I am loving the lower humidity in DC/NoVa this week, though!

Thanks! I will have to look into it :) I could not believe the weather when I walked out of the house this morning – had to walk back in and get a jacket!! Totally made up for the horrible weather last week :)

6. Caroline says:

/i have never tried NUUN
    I drink about 12 glasses…that is still not enough for me. I get dry heaves all the time. My last race It was pretty bad, I even have pics of it on my blog thanks to my husband who captures every "good" moments!!!
    I also get these nasty headaches.
    I loose a lot of salt also…today I only went for 4 miles and I had it all over my face and my eyes were burning because of it also.

7. Caroline says:

I do take those endurolyte tablets also, same as Iron Mo. They have them at REI
    they work well
    I have to take at least 3 when it is very hot

8. I RUN LIKE A GIRL says:

ha, I think my bladder is the size of a pea. I literally pee ALL. THE. TIME. It's crazy :)

I love lemon+lime and strawberry lemonade nuun. Delicious!

You are one bad@$$ runner – great 12-miler. I need to start doing some distance runs with you :)

9. Tori Batey says:

first of all I love your blog..you are an inspiration to me! i found it through my friend michelle's blog thecookinglife.wordpress.com.

i'm about 6 weeks in to training for my first marathon and since i got dehydrated a few weeks ago on a short run I almost always have at least 8 ounces of water with my standing by. basically i sip throughout the day (and yes I have to pee all the time) all day everyday. i'm also drinking tons of water lately in order to deal with my carb/sugar cravings since I'm trying to make more healthy choices. i'm going to try one of these Nuun things you are talking about. -Tori

10. That 8 glasses of water rule isn't great for everyone. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my doctor kept telling me to drink at least 64 oz because I had low amniotic fluid….I had to drink 128 oz a day to keep my fluid at a normal level. Some people just need more water, pregnant or otherwise.
    I've never tried nuun. I don't think I run enough right now for it.

11. Rachel McPhillips says:

I have the same bladder problem! When I track my calories with my fitness pal, I found that since I track my water on there too, it helps make sure that I am getting enough fluids. Otherwise, I would get busy with the girls and forget. I'm off the check off this nuun you speak of!

12. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this
    board annd I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.