Monday was my last double stroller run of Chloe’s first year of school. Four miles pushing both boys, who seem to get bigger and heavier weekly.

Yesterday marked day one of Chloe being home for the summer. It is not the first time by any stretch of the imagination that I have had all three kids for long periods of time, but it does mark the first time that there is basically no end in sight as to when she will be back at school.

I know I am being dramatic because in three short months she will be back there full time, and I will be back to pushing both boys on the trail in a double running stroller, but it seems far off now.

Do not get me wrong, I love my daughter, I love all three of my kids. It just happens to be that they are at very hard ages, maybe all ages are, but these seem particularly hard. Chloe is 4, Miles is 3 and Colton is 7 months. Chloe and Miles fight like cats and dogs. Colton is a baby and babies need LOTS of attention.

There may or may not have been an ear biting incident yesterday where my daughter thought she was Mike Tyson and attacked Miles. I’ll tell you this though my kids are good kids – I can not image how much worse it would be if they were bad.

Yesterday also marked day two of eating gluten free. I will discuss this more at length later, but because of some health issues I have been having I have decided that gluten is the problem. I got tested for Celiac’s disease and do not have it that extreme, but do have an intolerance too it, very much similar to my lactose intolerance. While on the way home from Trader Joe’s for my first gluten free grocery trip, I looked to the car to the left of me – the last 3 digits in the license plate were 818. I knew I was making the right decision.

My alarm went off at 4 am on Wednesday morning. My running clothes had been set out the night before so I would not have any reason not to get up and run. I could not bring myself to get out of bed to run.

You see with Chloe being home this presents yet another challenge to my running. I WILL ADAPT.

I often get asked how I find time to run. I don’t find time. I don’t have any spare time. I have to MAKE TIME each and every day I want to run. I have to FIND and KEEP my motivation ALL day long. I do not know on any given day now when I will get to run.

If I want to run in the morning I will need to get up at 4 and start running by 4:15 in order to be back in time for my husband to go to work. If I want to hit the treadmill for a short run I can do that by getting up at 4:45 and starting by 5 am. If I want to run outside I am going to have to wait till my husband gets home from work and gets settled. Most days this will mean running in the heat at 4pm. If it does not work to run in the afternoon on days he works late then I will either have to run when he gets home or run on the treadmill after I get all 3 kids to bed. One morning I will get to do a longer run if I bring my children to my mother in laws. I am on the hunt for a triple running stroller that will actually work for distances up to 8 miles and one that does not cost $1,000.

It is not going to be an easy summer in terms of running.

I literally was on the verge of tears all day yesterday. Every fight my kids had made me sad, not mad, sad. I chose to feel sorry for myself all day about my running. I tried to fight off my negativity a couple of times, telling myself that my kids, my husband and God are the most important things in my life. Not running. It would work in spurts but the truth of the matter was, I wanted to be sad about my running, I wanted to mourn the fact that I couldn’t just take the kids out running in the double stroller. I did not talk to any friends, I did not leave the house.

When my husband got home, I had to run. I was tired, and did not want to, yet I wanted to. Make sense?

I took off on an run of an undetermined distance and headed towards a neighboring town. I chose to head that way because the roads are usually pretty desolate. I have never run these roads at after 4pm. Cars, cars, and cars – it was packed, which meant that my road run turned into a run that was on roads, paths, gravel, dirt and at times grass.

The run was supposed to be easy and it felt relatively easy compared to my typical double stroller run. The first mile was:

8:18 – I smiled knowing God is in control of my life

This run was supposed to be easy, which for my summer training is somewhere between an 8:25 pace and a 7:40 pace. These miles were way too fast to be easy. Then it hit me. All the HARD runs I go on pushing my kids makes running alone seem easy. My pace was what I would consider crazy fast for an easy run, yet it somehow felt easy. I take that back – there was a 1/2 mile segment during mile 6 that was literally up a giant hill. I powered up that hill at the same pace – telling myself it would not break my stride. It would not beat me. It did not and I kept a strong pace, finishing the mile with a 7:36.

I came back feeling renewed and was in a much better mood than when I left.

I’ll figure out my running this summer. I will not let a change push me down. I will adapt, as I always do. I will not give up on running, it has never given up on me.

In the meantime I promise to enjoy this craziness. One day I know I will look back on this summer and reminisce about my children being this little, about how hard it was, but how I would do it all over again if I had to.

Do you have free time to run every day or do you MAKE time because running is a priority to you?

Comments

1. Adrienne says:

I also have to make time- there is no time to be found…..

2. Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS says:

I'm lucky enough to be single, live alone, and make my own schedule. So yes, I have plenty of free time to run. It's women like you who amaze the crap out of me! There are not many blogs I read word-for-word but yours is one of them. Every post is inspiring.

3. I totally laughed out loud at the Mike Tyson comment. I also know that feeling of not wanting to but wanting to run. I want to be on my run, I want that great feeling when I'm done with my run, I just don't want to start it – it's like trying to give kids a bath. They don't want to get in, they don't want to get out.

I'm a newbie- but I'm young and single. I have plenty of *time* to run. But, I'm making a lifestyle change, so I MAKE running a priority.

4. Gracie (Complicated Day) says:

Even with no kids, I have to make time because I have a demanding job. But I think the world of moms out there working around kiddy schedules! That kind of dedication impressed me!

5. mojamala2 says:

I am super busy 90% of the time but always squeeze in time to run and I dont even have kids! I don't know how you do it!

6. Tracy says:

I am married with a full time job and I find it hard to get in a good run these days. I can't even imagine how much harder it will be once I have children. I do make it a priority, and having a running log to leave me accountable for my missed runs is very helpful. A day without running is sometimes a day without therapy…

7. Holly says:

A gym opened up in our town 2 years ago at the right time for my littlest to go to their childcare (2 months old). I joined before they opened and so didn't have to pay all of the crazy fees and got a discount on the monthly fee. They also have a childcare deal which really helps, since we go at least 3 days a week, most of the time 4 and every once in awhile 5 unless we are sick or out of town. It is the only way I would get to be active on a consistent basis and get 2 hours of mommy time, friends, and a SHOWER!! I do go for long runs about every week and a half though.

8. runthelongroad.com says:

I make the time to run for my sanity…and I'm trying to BQ in September!

9. TK42ONE says:

Two kids (age 7 and 3.5), a teacher for a wife, and a fairly flexible schedule for work (plus I work from home). Usually I'll run in the morning and skip lunch at work if I have to. But when things get tight, I'll either move my training plan around or just skip my run. I hate to do it but it's less stressful to do that than to piss off my wife.

10. I can SO relate to this post!! After my third child was born I looked into triple joggers as well- too much $$$. I actually squeezed all three in for a few runs but it was extremely heavy and my longest run with all three was 5 miles (but it felt like 10). Now with 4 kids, running with them all isn't even an option. I definitely have to MAKE time to run. Most of the time, my schedule revolves around my husband's but I do have a mother-in-law who can help ocassionally. Sometimes I miss the days when going for a run only involved me. I totally took it for granted back then! It's easy to get down on yourself and feel a little defeated. I have definitely been there- even more so recently with a stress fracture. It helps me to look at the big picture. I know I WILL find a way to run. Someday, maybe all these little ones running around my house will actually be running out there with me!

11. Christin says:

I agree with another runner's post that I do enjoy reading your "words" in each blog, probably cause I can relate as a mom and runner :) I am totally with you regarding feeling sorry for myself if the day doesnt allow me to work out. And I try to remind myself of everything else I'm blessed with, but it's natural to want something for yourself, too. And healthy. People who don't workout just can't understand why I would choose to get up at 4am to run, or go at 8pm after dinner. Exercise for me revolves around when the sun comes up, what time I leave for work (and if I decide to do my hair!), when James is oncall or at home, and when Luke naps. I want to see as much of Luke and James as I can instead of working out during those times, too. Every day is different and like you say, I get through every work-out by thinking how lucky and blessed I was that day to be able to do so! I belong to a gym with a great childcare that is my saving grace. Hang in there, rough summer, but you are the master of finding time to run. But we are for sure better moms and better wives by being a runner. Now onto my next running problem, I have plantar fasciitis and have to choose other forms of exercise for a while :(

12. Marisa @ The Pace of my Life says:

I feel your pain. I don't have time either, I make time because it is important to me. Come August, I am going to be facing a similar challenge as I have two kids in two different schools…I won't be able to fit in an afternoon run while they are both at Preschool and I can't run on days my husband works without major schedule adjustments (he works 12.5 hour shifts). It should be interesting. One thing that may help me is to get a treadmill…I hope! Hope things get easier and you find a way to make it work!! :)

13. I have been in your shoes! When baby number 3 was born my oldest was 4 and my middle hadn't even turned 2! A lot of those days were a blur! Chin up!

14. Kristen says:

Thank you for this post! I am pregnant with my first child and have been able to continue my running through my pregnancy so far (I am 23 weeks along). However, lately I have been daydreaming about my return to racing after my little girl comes this fall. When will I have time? How is this going to work? I know I can make the time for it, I just worry. It's nice to know someone else has those same feelings. I feel selfish thinking about running, but it's my me-time and my stress relief, and I know I will need that with a newborn!

I love your blog! Thank you for being so inspiring and motivating! I can't wait to be able to run FAST again!

15. Danielle112 says:

I just found your blog a few weeks back, and I am so, so glad I did. I've never really been a blog reader until now. No matter what the topic of the day may be, you really are so inspiring. I always look forward to a good run, but when I can't fit one in, I know either way I can come here and get my runner reader fix! It's awesome to read your stories, you see how you balance your life as a runner. Anyway, despite all of the craziness that you have to juggle, I know your running plan will work it's way out this summer! Keep your head up, we're all rootin for you :)

Check out the BeBeLove Aqua Triple Jogging Stroller on Overstock.com. Looks like they have a couple to chose from.

17. Lizzy says:

I can only run 3-5X a week- with my commute and schedule I just can't fit it in otherwise. I wish I could though and I know I need to will myself out of bed more often like you do. Thanks for being so inspiring and congrats on your fast easy run!

18. Does your gym have babysitting????? I am soo happy to hear that you MAKE time to run. I don't have any kids now and I still don't make time for a workout.

And ear biting incident??? I guess this will all be in my future!

19. XLMIC says:

I only run 3 days a week… and I run at night when my husband can watch our 4 kids. It is brutal… trying to run and be a mom to a bunch of kids.

20. this is carrie says:

I am right there with you when it comes to summer running. With my two oldest at home, the only way I can get out is super early in the morning or super late at night (attorney husband hours). So what I usually do is have the girls ride their bikes while I push the younger two in the jogger. If I want to go longer than 6 miles, I usually have to appease them with a stop at the playground in the middle. All of this makes for not the perfect training situations, but I always say it's better than sitting at home and pushing a jogger is great for strength training.

Weekends are when I try to get in a solo run.

So happy we're going to be on the Nuun team together!