Choppy post. Writing thoughts as they come.
Training is back in full effect.
I say training because I think there is a difference between running and working out to be healthy and the things you do and do not do while *training* for a marathon or other big race.
Last post was last Wednesday. Sometimes I feel like talking, sometimes I don’t. I like it that way.
Thursday the little mini me had a two hour delay which meant there was no time to go to the gym and do spin and also make it home in time to get little #2 ready for pre-school.
Got on the treadmill when Colton was napping and busted out 10 miles while the other two were at school. I was REALLY happy with 10 because when you are first getting back into the swing of being on the treadmill for the majority of your weekly runs it takes a little bit to get over that 5 – 7 mile hurdle. I always find the longer I run on the treadmill for the shorter runs, the easier it gets to run a double digit run. Picking up the pace also helps me squeeze it in.
I am 100% sure that part of my speed increase over the years is due to limited time. When I had all the time in the world I was one word – LAZY. Now that time is limited I make the time I have count.
After said miles were over, showered and got dressed to go meet Blaire of http://www.themarketconfidential.com/ – She happened to be in town for the night, reads my blog, and wanted to meet up. I said sure because it’s totally normal making friends with Internet people now. Not joking at all. It has become totally normal. Blaire was adorable to say the least. I have this really bad habit [not sure if that is the word] of wanting to do something but then feeling so tired I just cancel [thank you Gilbert's Syndrome - I will continue to blame my abnormal fatigue on you].
Friday was a planned rest day. Met up with Jess of http://www.paceofme.com/ for a little mall play date with the littles. After a solid week of running I needed a day off.
I had planned to run long on Saturday but couldn’t find the motivation. Kept saying I would run later in the day but that never happened and I was okay with it. I had convinced myself that whatever run I went on that day was not going to be good. My mind wasn’t there so it turned into another rest day. At night I went out with my sister for a little retail therapy at Nordstrom Rack [oh Nordstrom how I love thee]. We headed to PF Changs for some yummy food and my favorite banana dessert. Ordered it with a side of salt, the waitress thought I was nuts, but it made me happy.
Sunday woke up MOTIVATED. It was icy and cold out so the treadmill looked like the best option.
I don’t hate the treadmill. It’s boring as hell and not ideal but anything that allows me to run is something I am never going to say I hate.
18 miles turned into 20 and to be honest I felt like I could have kept going. It’s exactly how I want to feel after a long run, but rarely do. 7:53 average for all 20 miles was right in the zone of where I want to be. I felt happy.
School was cancelled for the littles today because of ice. The four of us headed to the gym. I had barely any time to squeeze in a run before the spin class started. I made them count – 3 miles – 7:03 average. Day 3 of spin KICKED MY BUTT. I know I only went twice last week but I feel like I can already tell I am getting stronger. My wattage today was MUCH higher than my average last week. I felt happy.
I have a terrible headache from getting so dehydrated during spin. I have never sweat so much in a workout in my life. I really look like I just stepped out of the shower when class is over. Gross.
MUST drink more water.
Snow day means more time for snuggles with this pretty girl. I know it’s so cliche how parents say they love their kids more than life itself, but it really is true. She is the best.
Whenever you post about going REALLY long on a treadmill people typically ask a zillion and one questions. Here are some thoughts on some that I got on twitter this weekend.
- YES I was bored. I watched Dexter for all 20 miles, but it’s honestly hard to not get bored running for that long and not going anywhere.
- I like running long on the treadmill because it trains your brain to keep going even when bored or in pain. At mile 22 of a marathon you are going to ask yourself why you are doing this. You might come to the conclusion that you are insane or that you will never do it again. Miles 22 – 26 of a marathon are often the make or break miles. There is no point in giving up when the going gets tough during these miles. I often tell myself that if I slow down in those miles then I might as well have just run the 21 before it slower and these woudln’t have felt so bad.
- How bad do you want it? The winter is not ideal for training. Roads are icy and snowing or it’s just plain freezing outside. If you want to run a good race in the spring or any race at all, you have to put in the work. I want a marathon finish bad enough that 20 miles on a treadmill is worth it.
- NO I did not listen to music. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don’t. I wanted this run to be mentally hard.
- I put the tv on closed captioning so it’s not loud. Loud tv means I wake little people up. Watching the words keeps my mind on the tv and off the pain.
- YES I vary the pace. I always start out slow and finish faster. I started out at an 8:30 pace and worked down to sub 7’s.
- NO I do not run on an incline. I don’t believe in inclining the treadmill. I can talk more about this later. I don’t care what studies or reason you want to send me to try and prove it should be done. If it works for you, great. It doesn’t work for me. I believe in picking up the pace faster than you would run outside.
Do you run long on the treadmill? What are your tips?
Mile Posts Blog is on:
- Mile Posts on twitter – http://twitter.com/mileposts
- Mile Posts on pinterest – http://pinterest.com/mileposts/
- Mile Posts on facebook – http://www.facebook.com/irunthisbody
- Mile Posts on instagram – http://www.instagram.com/mileposts
Looking for great deals on running, cycling, and fitness gear? Check out The Clymb. Their Great Escape Sale is going on so there are thousands of items up to 90% off. Lucky for me the Sperry boots I’ve had my eye are back!
- Invite link here — http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/DorothyBeal