As a long distance runner I am often alone with my thoughts.

I love training with friends, but find as a mom of 3 young children, that this has become a luxury. A goal I have for 2011 is to try to find the positive aspects in anything I do.  I do this a lot now while running.  Time spent bettering my physical body gives me time to also better my mental and spiritual self through my thoughts.

Always try to look at the glass as half full.  Time without friends gives me alone time with my thoughts.

Having an overactive mind has spurred my love of books.  Reading gives me more things to ‘think’ about on the run.

I find it funny when people tell me they don’t think about anything when they run.  Don’t think about anything? Really?  My mind races and never stops thinking while running.  Maybe my mind moves with the speed of my legs – it knows when my body is active it is not time for it to rest.

I recently read The Cause Within You – it was one of those books that I can’t seem to get it out of my mind.

Do you wonder what your purpose in life is?  What were you created for?  What is the point of life?  The point of running? The point of blogging?

I do.

Up until I read this book I had never really considered what my “cause” was, or if I even had one.

In this book Matthew Barnett maps out a route for you, a marathon training plan for life if you will, on how to go about finding your cause and identifying what you were put on this earth to do. Instead of forcefully trying to forge his own path in life Matthew relied on God to tell him where to go and what his unique purpose was.

I personally find that when I put my trust in God in relation to my running and life, I am a better athlete.  I do not stress the path before me, because I know there is a plan that I do not see yet.

I found myself crying at multiple points during this book while reading first hand accounts of people’s lives who have been changed as a result of Matthew and the Dream Center he founded.  It inspired me to figure out what my purpose is in life, what my cause is.

I smiled inside knowing that no purpose or cause is too small.  Changing the life of just one person might be the point of this thing we call life.  We were all created for something BIG and that makes me feel special inside.

Is this blog my purpose?  I don’t know, but often wonder.  Was I put on this earth to inspire others to be better versions of themselves – to be filled with the Spirit the way I have?

The book, as you can tell was rather thought provoking.  I highly recommend it!

I’ll leave you with some of my favorite quotes from the book:

Every great dream takes a long time and a lot of effort to fulfill, so the keys to progress are courage and consistency.

God’s dreams for you are always bigger – and better – than your dreams for you.

You might discover your cause by simply becoming aware of other people’s needs.

It’s okay to think about quitting. It’s not okay to quit.

Serving people gives you a greater motivation to keep on living.

Note: Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book. I was not paid for this review and the opinions are my own.

Comments

Sounds like a very thought provoking book!

2. Amanda@runninghood says:

Thank you for your reflections Dorothy. As a mom of three, I get the fact that carving out time to run with friends is sometimes not possible. I have to fit it in when I can. I like running alone anyway really. And one reason is that it leaves me alone with my thoughts. Always thinking about something and often it is reflection about the books I'm reading (lots and lots of reading), prayers, or contemplation and reflection on my life. I always come back from my runs with some new insight or feeling of having a new perspective. I was just telling my husband last night that it has been really wonderful to see that this blog has started to turn into more than just a time sucker….but recently I've seen that I'm able to use my gifts and passions (running, writing, teaching, motherhood,etc. ) to inspire and touch others and learn from them as well. You're right in how just changing one person is BIG! Thanks for these thoughts! This has been well worth my time getting on here in between painting my house! :)

3. Party of Nine says:

"I personally find that when I put my trust in God in relation to my running and life, I am a better athlete. I do not stress the path before me, because I know there is a plan that I do not see yet."

Very well said :)

Hi Dorothy,
    I love your blog! I am running the B & A Trail Marathon next weekend and I am very excited! I came across your blog while googling the race. My marathon PR is 3:50 (Philly) back in Nov 2009 so I am shooting for about 3:40 for this race. Any pointers? Would you consider it a pretty fast course? It appears to be mostly flat.

Thank you!
    Joanna

5. Katie says:

thanks for sharing – love those quotes!

6. Katie says:

I am going to have to checkout that book!

7. mickiruns says:

I'm getting this on my Kindle, ASAP. Thanks for such an inspiring post!

8. Melissa says:

My fav is: God's dreams for you are always bigger – and better – than your dreams for you.

Thanks for a great post and good read.

9. Julie D. says:

I'm ordering this book ASAP. I love running by myself and being 'alone' with my thoughts. Thanks for this. Love your blog. Never 'fluff', always 'depth'. Thanks.

10. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am ordering this book TODAY! You have no idea how much your post means to me. I have been feeling really down lately, like I don't have any direction, like I don't know what my greater purpose is. I work for a non-profit organization, but still don't feel like I ever make a difference. I run alone – and think – a lot too. What you said, "I personally find that when I put my trust in God in relation to my running and life, I am a better athlete. I do not stress the path before me, because I know there is a plan that I do not see yet," is my food for thought today and it feels good to know that I am not alone in my thoughts – thank you.