Let me fill you in on a little secret. Every single day of my life I doubt my abilities. It may seem that I have a huge amount of self confidence, but I don’t. I would like to think that I am like most women, there are days I think to myself, Hey Dorothy you are pretty cool – I’d be friends with you, and other days I think to myself honestly what are you good at? your house is a mess, you do not have time to do all the things you want to do, you don’t call your friends and family as much as you should, you don’t travel to visit the people you love most near and far, you can’t even get the dishes done every day….

I used to have LOTS of negative thoughts when it came to my running. I would say I had more negative thoughts than positive. I’m slow, I’m going to finish last, everyone is better than me, I’m not a real runner, I can only run 30 miles when everyone else can run 60 miles, my fastest mile is the slowest out of anyone, why do you bother running anyways? last in your age group is nothing to brag about……

I would say that the negative started turning to positive the more people told me I could not do something.

I wanted to run my first marathon faster than Oprah ran hers. People told me to be happy to just finish.

I beat Oprah.

Puffy Daddy(now P.Diddy) ran a marathon faster than me weeks after my first. I wanted to beat him. People told me it was not possible to run my second marathon faster than my first, weeks after my first.

I beat Puffy Daddy with a 5 minute PR.

I ran Chicago Marathon on a whim when I was training for Marine Corps one year. People told me I was not ready yet and that I was going to mess up my chances to run well at Marine Corps. It would be impossible to PR in the middle of a training cycle.

I PR’ed by 5 minutes.

Marine Corps came around and people told me I had already run my PR and could not race well again. Why run Marine Corps, just give up.

I ran. I pr’ed. I went under 4 hours with a 9 minute PR.

After I was pregnant with my first child I decided that when I was back in running shape I was going for a Boston Qualifier. People told me it would be impossible to take 20 minutes off my marathon time after not having run a marathon in 3 years and having had 2 kids.

I BQ’ed with a 24 minute PR 6 months after my 2nd baby was born.

People told me you could not run fast at Boston, why even try? Just run for fun.

I ran Boston in 3:39 for another BQ.

I said I wanted to go under 3:30 in the marathon. There were doubters. I knew in my heart it was not a matter of going under 3:30 but how far under 3:30 I would go.

I ran a 3:21 and WON the marathon.

This year many people in my life thought it would be crazy to run a marathon 4 months post baby #3 and that there was no way I could race it or try to run fast.

I came, I ran – 3:26 on 3/26 – my 2nd fastest marathon at the time.

Again I got the – why try to run fast at Boston, it is simply not possible.

I came, I ran – 3:30 – another BQ.

A 3rd marathon less than 2 weeks after Boston? I already knew what people would say. I woke up and decided I would attempt a triple, for no other reason than to see if I could do it.

I came, I ran, 3:23 – my 2nd fastest marathon to date. 2nd Female overall.

My point is not to brag, it never is. I do not think I am a super woman, I don’t think I’m great. Many days of my life I question my self worth……

My point is to tell you that if I can do this, you can do this. Take all the negative in your life [people, places, events, relationships, etc] and turn them into positive……When I am feeling weak I find my strong by doing something I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD DO. I take all the negative and use it as fuel to push me faster and farther than I ever thought possible.

When I ran 10 miles pushing all 3 of my kids in the triple, I thought it was one of the hardest things I had ever done. I voiced to friends that I would never attempt to go that far again —- too hard.

What? Too hard? Okay mind…..guess what that means? I will find my strong, I will tell you that you are wrong.

I ran 13.1 miles last week pushing all 3 of my kids in my triple running stroller in 1:55. Faster than I ran my 1st half marathon by 3 minutes!

Today I attempted a timed mile with the triple, because again my mind had told me that it was a stupid thing to do. I could never run fast pushing 3 kids.

My goal was sub 8. I told myself I would be very, very happy seeing a 7.

I ran a 6:31.

Take that mind. I found my strong. I enjoy taking the seemingly impossible in my life and making it happen. Dream BIG my friends.

Comments

1. ASHLEY says:

SO funny to me that you question your self-worth. Just because – you are amazing! But – obviously I totally understand how you feel. DOROTHY! You're incredible. I don't know if it makes you feel better, but I'm single, with no kids, and some days I don't even get the dishes done. And you should SEE my pile of dirty clothes! EEK! AND. I've never run a sub 2 hour half marathon — and I've never tried it pushing three kids. 😉 YOU ROCK. You are SO smart, ridiculously articulate, gorgeous, powerful and strong! And one of these days, you won't even need the ridiculously long runs to mute the self-doubt. I KNOW IT! And – you have EVERY. right. to. BRAG. Strut your stuff! HUGS! – Ashley S

2. Meg O @watchmegorun says:

you are so amazing!!! Awesome job :)

3. Lizzy says:

Seriously, you are amazing and such an inspiration. I hope after I kids that I will finally be able to run a marathon time I am proud of : )

4. Jess K says:

YOU are SUCH an AMAZING WOMAN! You are seriously my hero.

5. merrymishaps says:

You rock!
    I can't even imagine running that fast, but who knows. I've already knocked Oprah off my list …

6. Danielle112 says:

You Go girl!! You are such an inspiration, can't wait to hear about Hood To Coast. You're going to rock it!

7. XLMIC says:

You are AMAZING!

8. schjesska says:

Wow, yeah, you're right. You're not bragging, you're just doing it.
    Very inspirational.
    Love!

9. Christine says:

LOVE this post! I have a lot of self doubts in life as well and I feel it holds me back in running. I have goals and I do PR but sometimes I feel I'm not dreaming big enough. Thanks for your post, I really enjoyed reading it! What you achieved is amazing!

10. Racingtales - Alison Gittelman says:

Being told I can't do something is the biggest motivator! Way to prove them all wrong!

11. Rachel McPhillips says:

Way to prove everyone wrong!! You are awesome. Just running with a triple stroller is inspirational, but a 6:31 mile PUSHING it? Wow. I am beginning to think you are super woman. :)

12. Stephanie says:

You are out of this world! I love this. What is your secret?!? I love your determination. Great post!

13. David H. says:

Great post! Coming off an injury from the fall, I'm finding myself digging deeper than ever and feeling stronger than ever. Like you it's not a bragging thing, but it's about setting my mind on something and doing it better than I, and perhaps others, thought.

14. runkatie says:

This post gave me chills. I too tell myself I can't do things before I even try. I assume that I'm not good enough or fast enough. I'm bookmarking this post so I can reread it when I'm feeling unmotivated.

You are so incredible!

15. Running Moose says:

That's just awesomely inspirational! Makes me want to adopt another 9or borrow a neighbor's kid)…but I don't know about pushing around my 60+ pound son, 45+ lb daughter and a neighbors child…but if I build some sort of platform on the back, I could push it uphill and then ride it on the way down!

16. Karen the "Hungry Mom" says:

Knowing I'm doubted fires me up too. It pushed me to get my degree after kids. Amazing triple stroller mile!

17. Michelle @ The Cooking Life says:

Dorothy, thank you! Thank you for sharing this and for inspiring me. You are amazing!

18. Megan @ On The Road Again says:

I love this post so, so much. You are such an inspiration! I will remember all of these posts from you when I am trying to get back in shape after baby next year!!

19. Carrie A. says:

Amazing, truly. You inspire moms around the world to go out and just try. If only a run around the block, just try. Congrats to you.

Love this post. It made me realize that I am like you: it's not other people saying that I can't do something. It's my own doubting mind. In fact, other people are much nicer and more encouraging of me than I am of myself. That's messed up, isn't it? Why does it have to be that way?

It's almost as though you divide your mind into two parts: you still have the doubting voice, as you say; but then you also have the counteracting defiant voice, the one that makes you GO FOR IT. You go girl!

21. Elizabeth says:

I love your DREAM BIG attitude! That's an amazing time for the mile with the stroller. I really like this blog.

22. Audrey J. says:

I needed to find your blog today. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are amazing and inspirational and I will be a repeat visitor…even if just to read this posting over and over and over again!!! :)

I cannot thank you enough just for being here for me to read today.

23. Awesome.

I was actually thinking about you as I passed someone with a double stroller on the trail the other day. She had one arm on the stroller, one moving. She was having trouble keeping the stroller straight though. How do you do it without killing your form?

amy — When I run with the single I am mostly able to just use one hand and swing my other arm. All three of my strollers have a fixed front wheel which is better for going longer distances. The hard part is that this means the only way to turn is to push down on the stroller making the front wheel go up. The ONLY reason I have muscles in my arms is from stroller running.

When I push the double and triple I have to use both arms for pushing – so my normal running form is non-existent. I don't think of it as bad form. I just have the way I run when I am alone, and the way I run when I am pushing a stroller.

My entire body gets a workout when I'm pushing the stroller :)

25. Jen @ Run for Anna says:

Ummmm…6:31 pushing a triple stroller??? That is truly amazing! Great post, and thank you for the reminder to tell our minds to just shut up once in awhile. :)

Good grief, you are fast! Who are all these negative people you have in your life that don't believe in you??! I would tell them to take a hike if I were you!

27. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

I want to be like you! Thanks for the inspiration!

28. What a powerful story! I love it! I've seen myself come a long way and I want to see myself go even further. I have those same exact doubts about myself and those same exact thoughts from others, and THIS is exactly what I needed to read! THANK YOU!

29. Melissa Cunningham says:

i love this post!
    love how you turn the negative to positive!
    6;31 with a triple seater?
    you are simply amazing!
    keep it up!

30. Allison says:

I feel motivated reading about all of your accomplishments! And I am thinking that I should borrow some of my friends kids (and running strollers) to get a better workout. :)

31. Kristen says:

You are such an inspiration! I doubt myself constantly, I never feel good enough, but I still am able to accomplish my goals because I STRIVE for them. I need that challenge in my life. I need to remind myself not to ever let people tell me what I can and can't do. Thank YOU for reminding me of that!

32. Average A says:

Wowza!

33. Deanne says:

Running is such a mental game for me. When I was training for my half marathon, no matter what was on the schedule, that's all I could run. If it was a step back week and I had two miles to do–that's all I could do. Even now after running that half, I'm not training for anything specific so I'm struggling each run.

34. Great post – I found you through a friend on the East Coast and love your blog and find you very inspirational. I tell my friends that you would be even more inspirational for me if you were a mom of young kids and 40 like me. But, I have the feeling you will still be accomplishing some major feats at 40! I'm training to run my first marathon in October and these posts about good and bad days are keeping me going at the moment. Right now I don't even care about the time, I just want to finish and get my Tiffany necklace. You go girl!

35. Wow. You are FAST. I am inspired by how far you've come. Btw, 6:31 is faster than my timed mile by MYSELF.

Wow.

36. kelly says:

hey dorothy. you aren't just pretty cool – you're SUPER cool. I definitely want to be friends with you. I wish you lived next door. I want to be you. (okay, I'm sounding like a stalker.)

But seriously, you are a total rock star. & I LOVE it.

Can,t find how a runner,s time is kept