I was going to title this post: Thankful For Friends but then decided to say who I am especially thankful for today, Hungry Mom On The Run.

New Years Eve

I am lucky to know the blogger behind Hungry Mom On The Run in real life. She has been a great friend to me for the past 5+ years. We, like all friends have had our ups and downs, but in the end I know this girl has my back.

Marine Corps Marathon 2011 – carrying my water for me

The past two weeks have been rough for me. I wish I had a reason to give you as to why they have been hard, but I don’t. Karen [Hungry Mom] has literally been lifting me up, helping me solve what the root of my problem is and helping me figure out how to fix it.

The other day I tweeted about my son throwing up and my coffee creamer being expired. I needed coffee but couldn’t leave the house. She showed up on my door step unannounced with a soy latte in hand. Who does that? A good person and a great friend. She gave me a hug and told me my day would get better, we all have bad days. I happen to be a very vocal person. I share those bad days, but just because others don’t share them doesn’t mean they too don’t have them. She made me realize how I was being self centered by thinking I was the only one who struggles with raising three children [she also has 3].

Saturday we got to run together – alone. I don’t even know the last time I have run with just her – I’m racking my brain and nothing is coming to mind. Well Marine Corps Marathon is coming to mind, but a breathless two painful miles is not the same as an easy 8.

My dear friend Kelly [who is one of the most beautiful people I know – inside and out] said she would watch baby C for me so I could go on a solo run. I was beaming inside that not only was a great friend watching my son so I could run, but that another friend was taking time out of her busy schedule to run with me.

Kelly – Beautiful Inside & Out

On the run we determined that I need to start meal planning. Many of you have asked me what I eat on a weekly basis. I listed out food [Read: Do I Cheat On My Diet HERE], not meals, because the truth of the matter is – I am a TERRIBLE cook. My mom was an amazing chef and made the most delicious meals. I never had an interest in learning how to do it myself because I wanted her food, not mine.

I do make food for my family but when I say make, I use the term loosely. I don’t really cook elaborate meals. A plain chicken breast with a side of quinoa and peas is about as crazy as I get, and while I could eat like this my whole life and be fine with it – my kids and my husband are bored with it.

This morning Karen came over to help me learn how to meal plan. How to figure out what to buy at the grocery store before I get there and how to cook it. This may seem simple to most of you, that’s okay. There are some things I am good at and other things I am not so good at. This is something I am not good at but with her help maybe one day I will be?

I have never MADE the time before to learn how to cook or to learn how to meal plan, but I am making the time now.

As I get older I realize that one of the BEST gifts from others is the gift of time. Everyone is busy so when someone takes time out of their schedule to help you, do something nice or even just lend their ear – we should appreciate it the same way or more so than a material gift.

Thank you Karen for the gift of time……

side.by.side.step.by.step

Is there someone to whom you could give the gift of time to this holiday season?

Comments

1. workout mommy says:

you have some awesome friends!!!! (can I move to your neighborhood so I can mooch off your awesome friends?!) I too am a horrible cook and always fail at meal planning. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm going to take this post to heart and think of a nearby mom who could use the gift of time this season. Thank you! :)

It is such a gift! Yes move to my neighborhood!!!! :) We can babysit for each other so we can get our runs in 😉

3. Run with Jess says:

Seriously… STOP reading my mind! I love the gift of time. I've pledged that our little family is going to make the month of Dec the best yet… simply by shopping less & spending more time together playing games, doing crafts, reading, etc. When someone takes the time to actually write me a letter instead of buying a Hallmark card, I treasure that!

4. Michele @nycrunningmama says:

Beautiful post, Dorothy! I think the gift of time is one of the best gifts to give – whether it means watching your son so you could run alone, or even spending an hour with an older aunt, grandmother, etc…time is invaluable…
    Thanks for the reminder =)

5. Yes, my best friend and most favorite runner. I love her and cherish every minute we get to spend together!

6. Cook.Clean.RUN.Dream says:

I am a working mom to four kiddos. I started meal planning last year and never looked back. It is SO nice to not be wasting food because I bought it and didn't end up using it. Not to mention the stress of figuring out what I'm going to cook for dinner when I walk in the door. It's been such a stress reliever .. good luck!

7. You do have some awesome friends!! I also am working on becoming a cook because I really never had a desire to and my husband is an amazing cook so I just let him do it (such a blessing!) but now that I'm a stay at home mom I have started to cook a little and am trying to meal plan…which I have not succeeded at yet…but working on it. I want to give the gift of time to my hubby because he is such a hard worker and wonderful provider for our family and he is my best friend.

8. Racingtales - Alison Gittelman says:

Oh man I need Karen to come over and explain that to me, too! I get home from the store with bags full of groceries and still can't find anything to make for dinner! I was thinking just today that I need to sit down and do weekly menu planning…but then I worried that if I don't manage to actually make the meals, I will feel a failure! Aargh! My mum was a great cook and my sister is too, and somehow I learned nothing! I'm with you on this one!

9. You have wonderful friends… this is what friendship is about to me.

I love menu plannig and meal planning and shopping from the list I make… and cooking too. Fun that you are learning about these things from a good friend.

OMG Dorothy i saw you yesterday. You look better then ever–seriously do you have a time machine? i love the blog. I can't wait for the next post. good job!

11. I Love your post Dorothy and your honesty and sincerity. I can cook but my problem is just taking the time to plan ahead so I don't feel overwhelmed and wondering if I have everything I need as well as the time to put a meal together. Plus, I do want my meals to be kid friendly but yet not boring or tasteless either. I have too many recipes and need to get rid of a bunch. It dowsn't work well for me if I have too many choices.

I hope your feeling more positive and things are happier now. It's wonderful what great friends can do for you.