Happy Thanksgiving!!!

My mom who I still call mommy [probably will till the day I die] is in town!

I had planned on racing a 5K this morning cause I SO SO wanted a PR and some $$. Who doesn’t love a little $$ and a PR on a holiday???

I got to the race EARLY, as always, and it was sold out. Insert giant sad face. [okay I lied – I felt sad inside but kept smiling anyways]

Note to self: Always sign up early online for a race you want to run so you don’t end up racing a 10K for the 3rd weekend in a row.

I didn’t have goals for the 10K because I wasn’t planning on racing the 10K. So my two minutes before the start goals were to beat my 10K last weekend [race recap coming sometime this century] and hopefully kick it in sub 41:15.

41:15 is the time you need to start getting ranked in the Run Washington DC area rankings. Since I’m the ripe young age of 29 there is no way I will get ranked anytime soon – the OPEN division is super competitive and though I am faster than I used to be I’m still NO WHERE near where some of these ladies are. Does it intimidate me? NO. Dream Big – right?

If you are at the top there is no where to go. It’s more fun working your way up from a 1:06 10K’er than it is to be naturally fast. [no offense to those blessed with speed] But back to the rankings – you have to run sub 41:15 two times. I missed it in 2009 by 2 seconds – yes 2 seconds. Anytime anyone tells me seconds don’t count in running I laugh in my head.

2 weeks ago my 40:23 got me my first sub 41:15 and I was hoping, praying, wishing for the 2nd today. In the end I fell short. 41:30 /6:40 avg [according to Garmin]. What do you do when you fall? PICK YOURSELF BACK UP AGAIN with a smile on your face. This is what DREAMING BIG is all about.

Sure I could be sad right now that I didn’t get to race a 5K like I REALLY wanted. Or that I didn’t get to win some $$ that I could have REALLY used. Or I could be bummed that I didn’t get my sub 41:15.

OR

I can choose to be happy that my legs moved as fast as they did after racing a 10K three weekends in a row. I can choose to be happy that I got to see a million friends this morning [I can’t even count how many!]. I can be thankful that I got to make new friends, that I got to do my 5 mile [yes 5 mile] cool down with two rock star runners and listen to them while they talked about their plans for the Olympic Trials [uhhh yes I did feel totally out of shape and overweight *cooling down* with them]. I also can choose to be thankful for the fact that my mommy is here – that I got to race with her, that it’s Thanksgiving and that we ALL have so much to be thankful for, no matter how much or how little we have.

Did you race this morning? Did you DREAM BIG? Congrats on putting yourself out there!

What are you choosing to be THANKFUL for today??

Oh and I’m SUPER thankful my mommy got me this awesome matching  Saucony Vizipro pink top and some super cool Saucony arm warmers.

Have I told you lately how much I love running??

Physical training is good but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come ~ 1 Timothy 4:8

Comments

1. Love it! Glad I got to see you both and hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!! Total bummer about the 5k selling out (and then the 10k!). You will hit all your dream big goals soon, I have no doubt!

2. {will run for margaritas} says:

Happy Thanksgiving! Glad you got a speedy 10k race in & get to celebrate with your family and mom! So much to be thankful for! I'm thankful for my family & my legs to run. Ran a 5k today and got 2nd plave overall! :)

3. thethinksicanthink says:

Still a fabulous race and those arm warmers are too cute! Man, I'd love to be fast enough one day to win something! Doubtful, ESP in NYC! What a great way to start your thanksgiving. I didn't turkey trot because we had to leave early for my brothers genus tournament (so I will get a thanksgiving day hit in) and I ran three milesnyesterday and my it band is still aggravated so probably best not to run two days in a row! (which is starting to worry me) It must be so fun having running be a familymaffair. Have a happy thanksgiving"

4. Happy Thanksgiving Dorothy! I love that you and your mom have matching gear. You two are so cute :) I also enjoyed my 10K this morning. The perk of running for fun instead of for PRs is that I got to run the entire race (Well, aside from the last quarter mile) WITH my husband. Usually he is way ahead of me! Enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family!

5. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says:

Congrats on another stellar 10K. I love that you and your mom race together. And I wore that same hat on my 10 miler this morning. Looking good ladies!

6. Bummer about the 5k. Congrats on the 10k this morning. Have a great thanksgiving celebrating with your family!

7. Running Moose says:

You know what, I think if you got 50 minutes it would not have mattered looking at you and your family in those photos. You all look like you were having such a great time together. I love that you and your mom had matching outfits!! Congrats on the great time in a race you didn't plan on running!!

8. How did your mom do? Great job getting out and running…and yes, I do dream big! I can't help but dream big. The Good Lord is continually blessing me and my ugly sinner behind far above what I deserve so I keep on dreaming and He keeps on blessing me!

9. Happy Thanksgiving! Great job on your 10K :) I did run a 5K today… returned to where I ran my first race last year and beat my time by almost 5 minutes. I went out HARD and just tanked! I didn't quite hit my goal but I worked it as hard as I could… I was dreaming big :)

10. What's with all of these Turkey Trots selling out! Sorry you didn't get to do your 5K, but it sounds like you had a great time with your mom and other family. Congrats on a great race. 41:30 is super speed demon, rankings or not!

11. myhighonlife says:

You look SO happy in these photos! That's still a phenomenal race and you continue to blow me away. I strive to have your attitude and capabilities. Thank you so much for sharing that verse, it is just what I need :)

12. Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen says:

That's an awesome race and a great way of looking at it, you are such an inspiration!!! And I LOOOOOVE those pink and white tops you're wearing :) Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I love you and your mommy. I swear you guys could be sisters! Seriously inspiring! As always your upbeat attitude is the very best thing well, maybe next to those smiles that your whole family has. Unbeatable!!

14. Suz and Allan says:

How sweet of your mom! The matching outfits are great. Looks like you all had a wonderful time!