A year ago this morning I was heading to my doctor’s office for what would become my last appointment of my third pregnancy. I knew in my heart it could be the day that I would go into labor.

I was ready for the baby to come because I wanted to meet him. Would he have brown hair like my daughter? Blond hair like my son? Green eyes like my daughter? Blue eyes like my son? Would he look like them? Would he look like me? Would he one day be a runner?
I’ll admit I also wanted him to come because I was sick of carrying around 40 extra pounds – I was tired of being pregnant. My last run of 3 miles, not stopping, 3 days before he was born felt like a marathon in and of itself. If you think someone who runs during pregnancy is just lucky. I beg to differ. It is hard work running with a giant belly. I’ve never felt more hardcore in my life than when I went running at 20 weeks pregnant in a sports bra and capris pushing my other two kids in the double stroller. When you are trying to find an excuse of why it’s too hard for you to get up off the couch and go for a run, think of me and countless other men and women who don’t make excuses – we do it – hard or not – we don’t make excuses.
I knew however not to rush this baby into the world. This is something that comes with experience. When I hear moms talking about how they can’t wait for their first labor to come – I wish they would listen to the advice that was given to me. You can never go back to your childless days. You will forever have this baby – what is a couple more days of hanging in there? Going to Starbucks alone. Taking a nap because you want to and not because the baby is. Being able to sit down and drink a glass of water because you want to, not because your throat has suddenly become the Sahara dessert from nursing. Don’t get me wrong. I love all my babies and I find myself yet again getting that baby itch [more on that later] – I just know now as a mom of three that you should enjoy those last moments and not rush them, no matter how sick of being pregnant you are.
Colton River Beal would come into this world 11 days before his due date[11 is my favorite number]. Not on November 8th as I had guessed he would but on November 9th. One year ago today I was the mother of 2…..
When I say it’s insane how fast time flies. Believe me. I wish I had believed all those mothers who smiled at me, who passed down unsolicited advice to cherish the moment because their children were grown. I’ve watched as my daughter turned 5 this year, my son turn 3 and now my second son is turning 1. My life is flying by me faster than I can hold on. I’m already that mom smiling at a pregnant woman or wanting to hold a strangers newborn.
How is she not this little anymore? Where did 5 years go?

Running helps me remember moments. Moments I want to cherish forever.

How is this little man 3?
Today I am cherishing the moment. Remembering how I felt last year with a smile on my face. Knowing that I was about to meet one of the most amazing little men in this world. I am truly blessed.

Comments

1. Lauren says:

I love this post, and hope to meet these beautiful kids of yours someday! I also hope that when I am pregnant, I am able to run through pregnancy like you did. I know it'll be hard work but you are an inspiration of what dedication (and no excuses!) can do.

2. Pemberton Family says:

This is one of my favorite posts!! My third baby is 5.5 months old and I am already getting that baby itch:)! It does go so fast and it's so important to just love and hold your kids while you can, cherishing every moment. Thanks for that reminder. Love all the pictures of your kids when they were little. They are cuties! God Bless.

3. Lizzy says:

Awww Dorothy! This is such a precious post! When are you bringing up the family to MA??? I want to meet everyone!!! You make me excited about becoming a mommy.

PS- I think you should join baby mommy club 2012. Not the marathon club. HAHA, wishful thinking.

4. thethinksicanthink says:

Your children are precious. I hope to be a mom like you some day! You write such beautiful posts about your children. You should save them to remind them when they are angry teenagers so they remember how much they are loved 😉

5. Andrea @trprunner says:

Aww the preciousness! They are something to cherish. Can't believe mine third (and first singleton) is almost 5 months. Goes by so fast with two at once and then a last one. If you get the chance to run safely during pregnancy, it is a gift and unique and enpowering experience.

6. Laura says:

So precious! I'm pregnant with my 3rd and have been lucky to still be able to run. My children are 2 and 3.5 and the time does fly! I have my moments, but love that I stay at home with them.

7. Lindsay @ Lindsay's List says:

Happy birthday big boy!! And Dorothy, you BETTER have more babies!! You make some beautiful babies!

8. Caroline says:

So amazing!! Happy Birthday to your sweet little boy. I love the last quote … because running helps me remember moments as well. Cheers!!! XO!

9. mickiruns says:

This made me teary-eyed, aaah!! It is so true – time really does fly by. While I love my daughter's independence, it is a double edged sword. I mean GEEZ, she's only 2, and telling me, "mommy bye bye, i play in MY room" – what!? You don't NEED me right now?? How heartbreaking, but again, that's the natural progression in life.

If you would like to hold a newborn maybe you should come out here for the Seattle Marathon in June and cuddle with my one-month old. 😉

PS – this post is making me want to go out and run. I think I'll go ahead and do that today. :)

10. Such a sweet post! <3 All pregnancy, I wanted time to speed up so I could meet my little guy. Now I'd do anything to keep him in there a few more weeks!

11. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

So beautiful…time does go by too fast. Running does slow me down and let me appreciate each moment but at times, I think those moments go by too quick.

Andrea you make an excellent point – I was lucky in the sense that I was physically able to safely run while pregnant. I know many women who would love to run but can't! Thank you for reminding me it's a gift :)

13. Jenn Zschunke says:

So sweet! I know what you mean!! Can't believe the little men will be 1 tomorrow. :) Happy early Birthday to Colton from Dylan. We really need to get a playdate on the books! Take care, Jenn

14. Pregnancy week by week says:

Wonder this post! i have like for provide information good movement to every users.

15. Beautiful post! It is amazing how fast they grow! My lil princess is almost 8 1/2 months and it has just flown by! I'm already getting the itch for a second but want to wait till she is 2…but God can always change that. He surprised me with her :)