There are many factors that have to come together for a successful marathon. Out of the 17 I’ve run I have made the most right decisions on 3 of them, B & A Trail Marathon 2010, Potomac River Run Marathon 2011 and Columbus Marathon 2011. It is no surprise that these 3 races happen to be my fastest marathons.

One of the main best decisions I made on those days was my choice of footwear.

For B & A Trail Marathon 2010 I wore my Saucony A3’s, it was my first time running a marathon in a racing flat. I felt fast because I felt like I looked fast. Up until this point I had only worn these shoes in races of shorter distances and during track workouts. When I put these shoes on my mind said MOVE and MOVE FAST. Mentally I needed to wear these shoes during B & A because I was attempting to go under 3:30 and knew that seconds could matter. Thinking I was fast could possibly make me run faster. My legs felt great during the race. The next day they were very sore but I felt the soreness was worth the time on the clock.

Potomac River Run Marathon 2011 was run completely on the C & O Canal. This surface is packed dirt in places and small pebbles and rocks in other places. I knew I needed more between my feet and the ground for this race, so chose to wear a new pair of the Saucony Ride. The Ride’s at 10 ounces, felt much heaver, but prevented any mid race soreness from the rocks. It was the perfect choice for the day. At the time I was still working in to the Kinvara slowly because of the different heel to toe ratio compared to the Ride and A3/A4 – so it was not a consideration for this race

This summer I ran in the Kinvara 2’s more and finally was able to wear them confidently on long runs(meaning I didn’t think I was going to injure myself). This is when the debate for my fall marathon began. Run in the A4’s or Kinvara 2? Which shoe would help me feel fast mentally, but also help my body feel good in the late miles.

The A4’s[the newer version of the Saucony A3’s] at 5.8 ounces are lighter than the Kinvara’s at 6.7 ounces.

I wore either the Kinvara’s, the Grid Shadow Genesis, or the Cortana’s on my long runs this summer, and felt that my legs recovered quickly. Something inside told me that I should wear either the Kinvara or the Genesis for this marathon. I went with the Kinvara and wasn’t disappointed!

The Kinvara was light, but not too light. I felt like my feet had a little extra padding beneath them and moved better over 26.2 than they did in the A4’s. I still love the A4’s and will mostly likely keep on racing in them for shorter distances, but for now the Kinvara is my new marathon racing shoe.

If I had a dollar for every person I say wearing the Kinvara on Sunday I’d have a lot more money. I guess everyone else was thinking the same thing I was!

What shoe do you race in? Do you wear the Kinvara? Love it?

Comments

1. XLMIC says:

I recently got a pair of Kinvaras. I haven't run in them much at all yet. And after seeing what a heavy, herky-jerky stride I had in the late going of my half-marathon last weekend, I think I'll be just racing in my training shoes (ProGrid3) until my running resembles that gazelle I imagine myself to be :)

Congrats again, you lightning bolt!

2. thethinksicanthink says:

Up until about a month ago, I'd always raced and trained in the same shoe! I now train in Nike Lunar Elites and I have a pair of NB 1400s for races, which I am probably going to wear from the NYCM.

3. Nicole Wagner Makeup says:

I just got the kinvaras. So far I have only run a 10K in them. my foot hurt quite a bit after. debating to wear them or my brook launches for my half next week. tough call.

4. Mike @ justalittlerun says:

I have three pair of Kinvaras and love them. Wear them for every run and ran the San Francisco Marathon in them this year (my 1st) and felt great with a 3:49. Congrats again on your marathon, it was an amazing performance!

5. Krissy says:

I run and race in Saucony Ride 3 – they seem to work pretty well for me, but I am always open to trying something that might make me feel faster 😉

6. Jerilee E. says:

I have done my last 3 races (2 halves, one full) in the Kinvaras! I love them and plan to keep using them for races. I do long runs in the Cortanas.

7. Your mode of explaining the whole thing in this article is
    really pleasant, every one be able to easily
    know it, Thanks a lot.

8. Heya just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the
    images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think
    its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

9. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. Nevertheless imagine if you added some
    great visuals or video clips to give your posts more,
    “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and
    clips, this blog could undeniably be one of the
    greatest in its niche. Very good blog!

10. Currently it sounds like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right now.

(from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

11. I run a food prep blog where I share my tasty recipes and tricks and tips that I know coming from
    my years of preparing food. I try really tough to improve my blog not less than thrice
    a week. I have had the blog for about 90 days, which I assume is a fairly good
    amount of time. But, my blog doesn’t get very many hits . When I look for my posts on Bing, it is certainly hard for me to find them. I found this site on the 1st page of Aol while i searched for Saucony Kinvara vs Saucony A3 & A4 Racing Flats, therefore i believe you must be a expert, care to share some help and advice with me?

12. In short, you do not have to silently suffer with SAD.

The biggest drawback to the use of Wellbutrin is that it can elevate your risk
    of experiencing a seizure. They relieve the discomfort by inhibiting the chemical method responsible for soreness in brain
    and spine.

13. Despite the high benefits, the cost of these doors and windows of your home by doing your own work on a wide variety of projects.

Fortunately there are a lot expensive than the traditional wooden frame products and can also be replacement windows vinyl fiberglass a lot
    of fun to do. Are replacement vinyl windows are
    becoming more and more popular among home owners for so many reasons.
    You will be able to save a lot of money in vinyl windows.

14. I leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a post on a site or I have something to contribute
    to the conversation. It is a result of the fire communicated in the article I looked at.
    And on this post Saucony Kinvara vs Saucony A3 & A4
    Racing Flats. I was actually moved enough to drop a thought 😉 I do have 2
    questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me
    or do a few of these comments appear like they are left by
    brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you are writing at additional
    sites, I would like to keep up with everything fresh
    you have to post. Would you make a list the complete
    urls of your communal pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

15. Magnificent website. Plenty of helpful info here.
    I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing
    in delicious. And certainly, thank you in your effort!

16. What’s up, for all time i used to check webpage posts
    here in the early hours in the daylight, as i enjoy to gain knowledge of more
    and more.