I woke up yesterday jazzed about my 10K PR. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I’m not exactly sure what *it* was but I lost all motivation.

The house was a mess, the laundry needed done, the dishes were overflowing the sink, the playroom had so many toys laying on the floor it was hard to walk – yet I wanted to do nothing. Literally nothing. I sat on the floor with the boys and played. Their laughs made me laugh their smiles made me smile, but still I felt blah.

I should have taken a rest day.

I always follow hard races or hard workouts with a rest day or occasionally an easy day. I knew that I needed to get out of my funk. I needed to not dwell on things.

I went running.

I went running with the intention of breaking my double stroller distance PR. On my run I thought about how you wake up each and every day with a choice.

Today you can wake up and be a survivor or you can be a victim.

You can tell yourself you will eat better tomorrow or you can eat better from this moment on.

You can choose to look at the glass as half empty or you can look at the glass and think WOW I still have half left. I hope that half of my life is equal to 50 years. That means I’m no where near half. Half is A LOT.

You can say to yourself – oh I’ll never be a runner – or you can decide today is the first day OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. If you want to be a runner – get some running shoes and head out the door.

You can choose to be sad or you can realize that no one is ever happy 100% of the time and you can choose to be happy inspite of your circumstances.

When you are on the road this morning you can choose to let someone in when they need to merge or you can get annoyed and speed up and not let them in. The choice is yours whether you want to live your life as someone who is nice and gracious or someone who is stressed out and self centered.

It was my choice yesterday. I chose to fight my feelings.

Tired but trying to smile

I pushed both boys for 11 miles. 1 mile longer than I have ever pushed them before. It was windy. It was hard. My legs were tired from my 10K. My heart wasn’t in it…..

I knew however that I had a choice. I could fight for my happiness or I could sit at home feeling blah. I chose to fight.

photo courtesy of miles

A happy mom is a better mom. A healthy mom raises healthy children. An active mom has active children. My happiness is important not only for myself but for my children.

Remember that post I did about what was better than a 3:13 marathon. I’m reading it again today and remembering that I have tons of people who love me. I don’t need to feel blah, I am choosing to focus on all that HE has given me and all that HE continues to bless me with.

Today is a new day and I have a feeling it’s going to be a good one!

Comments

1. Janene says:

I just love you! :) My "theme" for 2011 has been happiness in spite of circumstance… it's been a year of extremes, with some really fantastic moments (getting married! running my first 13.1! running my first 26.2! PRing another 13.1 by 21 minutes!) and some life-shattering moments – the year-long job search, feeling stagnant and idle, and the worst thing i could ever imagine – losing my Dad in May, 5 months before the wedding.

Running has helped me to feel the happiness and joy this year, instead of just numbing pain and frustration. It would be all too easy to be overwhelmed with sadness, and running gives me a way to both fully feel the pain when i need to, and push it away when it's not useful.

I choose happy!

2. Jeannie says:

Love, love!

3. Ben & Michelle says:

Wonderful post and just what I needed to hear! Couldn't be more true! Do you happen to do BSF?

4. BurnzyBee says:

Love this! Yes I have to choose to be happy despite the extreme financial issues I am facing. Running always makes me feel better. Good post!

5. Lindsay O'Donnell says:

Love this post!

6. Jessica Karazsia (@irun26at8) says:

Yep! It's all about choice. We ALWAYS have two. My favorite quote from Lance Armstrong's book, Every Second Counts – "So this is about life….It’s about risk, it’s about agenda, and it’s about balance. It’s about teeing the ball up high and hitting it hard while trying not to lose control. And if you shank it, then go find your ball and try it again…because the way you live your life, the perspective you select, is a choice you make every single day when you wake up. It’s yours to decide."

7. Kathy says:

I needed this reminder today – thanks!

8. Lindsay @ Lindsay's List says:

My post on Sunday talked about this very thing! YOU are in control of how you're feeling! It's up to YOU to stop whining and stinkin' DO something about it!
    All the while, being GRATEFUL that you have days on this earth, because they aren't guaranteed! They are a gift.

9. Michelle says:

LOVE! You touch me and are soooo adorable! Thank you for sharing you with us :) Have an amazing day and thank you so much for the reminder!

10. BabyWilt says:

Loved reading this post as there are a few "issues" I need to work on and well, make a choice about, this post makes me feel positive I can do it, thank you.

11. Christy says:

Beautiful inside and out!

12. Kortni says:

I just love reading your true and honest feelings. It is so inspiring. Wishing you a happy day today!

13. mollyberrieshodgepodge says:

This post made my heart smile. Thank you for this! I needed a little pick-me-up today!

14. mickiruns says:

It goes without saying this post was awesome :)

Your photos are gorgeous! Thank you for always being honest.

15. thethinksicanthink says:

One of my favorite quotes is "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes" by Hugh Downs. Sounds like you have a good one (attitude)!

And, seriously, 11 miles after a 10K?! Amazing. Teach me your secrets for not getting injured.

16. Jennifer Goodale says:

Couldn't agree more! Well said! So often, people look at the negative aspects of their lives and forget just how blessed they truly are. Thanks for reminding us all that we control our happiness.

17. Well said sister!! Thanks for the reminder :) Makes me think of the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy", LOL, LOVE IT!

18. khoutz3 says:

This is why I LOVE your blog!!!!!

19. Kristin says:

Reading your happiness post made me feel happy! While I have been running for a long time it wasn't until I turned 30 (nearly 2 years ago now, yikes!) that I wanted to focus on being stronger, fitter, and the best me I could be. I really felt like I had an epiphany, it was THAT strange. So many people used to tell me "oh, you're so negative", "why do you always look like you're frowning?" I can honestly say that in the past 2 years, I can't point to one time where I've heard those types of comments. My attitude changed when I aggressively started running. I felt like I had a new reason to feel alive.

We only get once chance here on earth so why not make the best of it and find what makes us all truly happy? Thank you for your post. It was so uplifting!