and proud of it….

I’m not here to debate what is harder, working out of the home or being home with your kids. I’ve done both and I think they are each hard for their own different reasons.

My self conscious self however has always felt bad when people ask me what I do and I say I stay home with my kids. Truth of the matter is, I work.

Doggy Kisses

I work to make my house a home. The ‘work’ I do may not pay me in money but I’m not concerned with being RICH by society’s standards. I want to be rich in love, in happiness, in friends and health. Don’t get me wrong, money makes life easy to a certain extent, and of course I would love to have more of it so I could do more of the things I love, but in the end the work I do on a day to day basis IS important, paid or unpaid.

At times I feel sorry for myself, I went to a good college, got a degree, worked hard after college in a few really depressing jobs, and then landed not one but three GREAT jobs in the running industry. Now my work mostly consists of laundry that never ends, dishes that won’t clean themselves, vacuuming every single darn day, picking up toys, and reading books out loud. It may not be a glamorous job and more often than not you will find me in my running clothes, with dried sweat and no make up, BUT guess what – I’m proud of what I do.

The only time I sit down during the day is when I am writing a blog post. I am literally doing stuff non stop all day long. I don’t watch any TV unless I am running on the treadmill and I never get a chance to sit down and read a book for myself. I’m doing doing doing. Running kids from here to there.

One of my favorite guys in the world!

Not all of us are lucky to be doing something we love and even if we are doing something we love it doesn’t mean that we love every part of it. BUT this doesn’t mean we shouldn’t give it all our in everything we do.

I happen to love what I do. I love being a stay at home mom and I’m proud of it. I work too.

This is me telling myself to no longer be self conscious – next time I am asked what I do – I will proudly say I am a stay at home mom!

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart ~ Proverbs 3:3

Comments

1. I am proud to be a stay-at-home mom but I feel guilty because I feel bad that I have the opportunity to stay home with my kids when others don't. So even though in private, I am happy, in public, I act like it is no big deal.

2. Without a doubt, the most important job in the world. I work on a team of 3 men and myself. Two of the men's wives stay home to care for their children and homes, and the other is a professor, and they have no children. I think about this balance CONSTANTLY as I would like to (AM DYING TO) have kids in the next year or so. I don't think I can stay home full time, but also am unsure of how my team will balance the fact that I want to be home PART of the time at least. I valued the fact that my mom stayed home with us SO much. I know your three kiddos are truly blessed to have you there as well. xo

3. Stepha@DairyFreeOmnivore says:

I LOVE this post! I am a SAHM mom to 3 kids also. I have a college degree, worked in my chosen career field out of college, and then chose to put all that on hold to stay home and raise my 3 girls. It's been 8 years so far, and while there are tough days I would not change it for the world. Your life sounds like mine- I only sit to write a blog post or do school work with my daughter. I sometimes feel that I have to validate what I do (or don't do in some people's opinions). There is nothing more rewarding than being home with your kids but it is not a respected occupation. Thank you for this post, and for reminding us to be proud of doing the best and most important job there is- being a Mom.

4. When I became a stay at home mom and left my job to stay home with my son. My co-workers at the time said " Wow I cant believe you are leaving your job to stay home with him. I couldnt do it because I like making my own money and having my own money" Needless to say I paid her no attention bc of the ignorant comment she just made and kindly told her I have a precious gift and I want to spend as much time with him a possible and daycare fees cost more than my mortgage every month so I am working just to pay daycare. So my husband and I decided I would stay home since he had the better paying job and benefits. But anyway I love being a sahm and I loving being paid in hugs, kisses and funny toddler sayings lol. Stay at home moms rock

5. Pemberton Family says:

In a sense I am too a SAHM, I teach high school math part time (from 6:30-9:30 am) everyday, so I am home by 9:45 and spend the rest of the day with my kids. I love every second of it, I am not lying. Sure there are times when I get frusterated, or tired, or annoyed but I am constantly putting myself in check when I get into one of those moods because being a SAHM is what I have always wanted. I worked full time until my second son was 1 and I hated it!! It was so hard being away from them and sending them to daycare everyday. Since then I only teach part time and even though I am still working it really feels like I am home all the time. My husband watches the kids while I work then I get home and he goes to work. We have 3 boys now ages 4, 2 and 6 months and I am treasuring every minute of getting to be with them. Once they are all in school I will probably go back to work full time. I think because I know what it feels like to work full time with kids and having to send them to daycare that I appreciate getting to be home even more now with them. I agree with you though, it is hard job and I never stop either. I can't remember the last time I read a book for myself or watched a tv show that I wanted to watch (unless I was on the treadmill). Love these posts Dorothy! Love that bible verse. Thanks for starting my morning off right.

Carolyn

6. Don't be ashamed of what you do! You have the best job in the world! I'm dreading the day I go back to work! I don't think any job could fulfill me as much as being a mom does!

7. The scripture is perfect. I, too, am a stay at home Mom. I. LOVE. IT. I can't imagine doing anything else. Sometimes I wish I could work to help with our income, or to have some sort of exciting adventure, but the truth is, those adventures aren't any more exciting than the ones I'm already having.

After all, who do you know that gets to slay dragons on a daily basis? Because I get to!

8. Melissa Cunningham says:

thank you for posting this!!! i too have been a full time working mom when my older two were born and then when the 3rd was on the way i became a SAHM.when i did work (at an awesome orthopedic rehab clinic)i hated the fact i had to go back to work so soon(6wks after each wa sborn) but at the same time i felt that by being a working mom helped give me more patience and made me value my tiem with them so much more.
    when i did stay at home with the kids,it was quite a culture shock,and it took some adjusting,no doubts! i had been used to working all of my life but to suddenly be put in the sitiuation where i could be at home,and was at home….it was strange and very difficult at first!and yes,initially it was hard to admit that i was a SAHM,almost like telling others only madeit feel like it wasnt a "real" job.
    but now with the 4th baby on the way,i am very thankful that i do stay at home. now its not always perfect,i do have days where i get frustrated,but it is SO worth the hard work! and being a mom IS the hardest but most rewrading job in this world!!!!
    once all the kids are in school,i do plan on working again though…
    only from 8-3 though,so i am home when they get home from school,heehee!
    anyways,
    love this post girl,thank you for posting….you totally rock!!!!

9. MotherRunner says:

I am also a stay at home mom — and proud of it. I have 20 month old twin boys, and the challenge for me is not keeping up with them – it's making sure I am dedicating myself to my job of giving them all of my attention and patience, and committing to make their activities fun and enriching. The struggle is when I'm feeling lazy, and I just want to read blogs or check email when I really could be doing something with my kids. Great post, by the way – and yes, I totally feel judgement from moms with "real" jobs.

10. MotherRunner says:

Oh, also – brand new follower! :)

11. Lindsay @ Lindsay's List says:

Hey…we work at the same place!! I need a raise, how bout you?

12. Laura is Undeterrable says:

I don't want to have kids until we are financially secure enough that I can stay home. I would be fine teaching a few fitness classes, but I can't work like I do now and have kids.

13. mickiruns says:

Girl this is just what I need to hear. The past couple of days have been rough at home. Like you said, non-stop "doing" – it wears you out. I had a very hard time switching over to the SAHM side of life. I went from working 50ish hours a week in a high stress, demanding Air Force job – to staying home. It was such a dramatic change, and I think I still struggle with it sometimes.

Your post reminds me to soak in every minute; instead of getting frustrated about the dried applesauce, and wondering how on earth it wound up on the underside of a chair. :)

14. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

I am proud of you and all the hard work you do. I really would love to be a stay at home mom. I know it is hard work and I really think it is harder work that having a job outside the house at times. But I would love to put all the time and energy I need to put into my job into my family….if that makes any sense.

15. I recently went to a party and someone asked me if I worked inside of the home or outside of the home. I thought that was a very nice way of saying it! Stay at home moms (and dads) are the CEOs of the household, on call 24/7!!

My husband and I do not have kids yet, but when we do he will likely stay at home. Not typical, but we both think it's important for someone to be home if it's possible. Most important job anyone could have!

16. Solidarity in the ranks of SAHM's :)

17. Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog says:

I work part time but if we could afford it, i too would be a stay at home mom. I think it is so benficial to the kids and it is WORK! Good for you!

18. endurancegal says:

Great post. I really appreciated this. As a soon to be stay at home mom, I can relate a lot to what you wrote! Three kids before 30 is so hard to imagine.

19. Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) says:

Great post. I'm a stay-at-home mom too and I love it! I agree completely. And I too am frequently walking around in workout clothes with dried sweat on my face and no make-up. :)

20. runaroundmyblog says:

I would L-O-V-E to be a stay-at-home mom. Every single day I wake up and say, "Why, Oh Why, can't I be a stay-at-home mom?" It is definitely hard work to do this job. Especially for you — with three kiddos. I'm just with on little munchkin, but I want one more. I'm tired of the 9-5 office job. I'm actually looking to switch careers and become a teacher so I can have a better schedule once the babies are in school — summers off, all the holidays, etc., etc., etc.

21. what a beautiful post! so happy that you are able to stay home with your too cute kiddos!

22. The Runner-Mom Chronicles says:

This is the post I needed to read. I'm getting ready to quit my part time job in February to stay home full time with my daughter. My husband and I believe that this is the best decision we could possibly make for her right now. And for our family. But that doesn't mean I don't doubt the decision every time I think of all the hard work I put in in college or get compliments from my bias at work who tells me I do a good job and that I'm irreplaceable. My husband did such a great job last night reiterating my "calling" as a mom, and reminding me of all the irreplacable attributes I bring to the table: no one can replace me at home. I just have to remember this when the doubt sets in:)

23. thethinksicanthink says:

I'm not a mom (yet), but I think being a stay-at-home mom is a 24 hr job. You can't put a kid down like you can a book or really leave the office.

24. I am a working Mom, but my hearts desire is to be home. I keep praying for that to be my reality. My kids (13 & 10) need me now more than ever. They were needy when they were younger, but this stage is a whole different type of needy! Enjoy every moment. My husband always reminds me they are only this age once.

25. KimAmburn says:

Good for you! You SHOULD be proud of being a SAHM. It's a honorable profession. Also, I love the scripture.

26. ~Congratulations are in order!~ You have been promoted to the most esteemed position available to any woman!

Enjoy your little blessings!

I have been blessed with 4 going on 6 children and we can't imagine life without them all around. I am so happy to hear your news!

27. Elizabeth says:

This is really an important job and I admire you for it. I'm so glad you know your worth and that it's not about money– but what is fulfilling. :-) Your family is very lucky!

28. Nicole Wagner Makeup says:

great post! I am lucky that I get to be a stay at home mom 90% of the time and then work when the weddings are there (which, okay is most every saturday of the year), but still. I LOVE telling people I stay home with my kids and runa business on the side. such a blessing. my mom could never stay home as she was a single mom working 3 jobs so i feel like it's a dream come true that I get to be with my kids everyday!:):)

29. Love it! You should be proud! What you do is not easy! Actually it's much harder than what most of us do!

30. I too wonder sometimes about my decision to stay home. I mean, I went to college for 6 years, got a double degree and had a flexible job as a physical therapist. But after having my first child, I realized I did not want to miss any time with my kids during the fastest growing years of their lives. They deserve a full time mom to be there for them whenever needed. :)

31. I couldn’t agree more!! I’ve never understood why someone would judge a stay at home mom–it is one of the hardest jobs! You should be very proud! :) Your kids ar every lucky to have such a sweet momma!

32. Mile Posts By Dorothy Beal says:

Thanks Kalee for your sweet words! Happy 2012!