Somewhere around mile 14.5 I looked at my Garmin.
I wanted to hit 18 so I could take a step back week this coming weekend, but I was not sure I had the motivation in me to run any more miles alone. I knew that I could run straight home and I would be at 16…..why did I not plan better?

On days I lack motivation I typically run far enough away from my house that even the shortest distance back will get me to the mileage I want to hit. It is a fool proof way of making sure I do not cut the run short.

I kept futzing with my Garmin, trying to see what time it was. Finally when I got it to work the time on it said 8:18. I smiled SOOO BIG. I kissed my watch and hit the bezel back to see my pace, etc. 8:18 average pace was the first number I saw. I looked to the sky and said THANK YOU.

It was written…..
18 miles it was going to be. [first one of my Marine Corps Marathon ’11 training]

Tip: On your long runs, your first mile should be your slowest and your last mile should be your fastest. If your last mile is significantly slower than your first miles, or middle miles, you should evaluate if you started out at too fast a pace. This pacing strategy will give you a more accurate idea of what you are capable of in the marathon and will teach you to start slow and finish fast.

A year ago today I was VERY pregnant and run/walking!
July 31, 2010 <—— Last Year’s Post

Comments

1. David H. says:

Yesterday was the first time in a long time on a long run that I had my first mile be the slowest on my run. It felt great to finish strong. I can't wait to see how this translates for the marathon.

2. Annette@(running)In the Right Direction says:

Wow…first those are great times. I am going to have to look at my times and see if my last mile is faster. I'm thinking it isn't. I have my first 18 miler this weekend. I am nervous!!!!

3. Thanks for the tip! I want to work on finishing strong myself. Great run!

4. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

Great run!

5. You are definitely a running inspiration! I still don't see how you manage running with a triple stroller! That would about kill me, lol. Somehow, I have always been able to pace myself well, at least up through half marathon distances. I naturally seem to run my second half of a race better than the first half. I strive to gradually increase my pace. My body takes a while to warm up so I naturally start off much slower. The major reason why I like longer distances. :)

6. Tia@RunnerMom says:

Thanks for the tip about your first mile and your last mile pace! I will have to keep this in mind for long runs!!

7. SupermomE12 says:

Great job as always! I skipped my long run yesterday to try and get this achilles all healed up. :(

Great run. Hopefully not with the triple! 😉 Nice advice too.

9. Rebecca Samson says:

Crazy how fast a year goes by!!

10. wow, that really is a perfectly executed long run! Well done :)