Health On The Run & I Running Side By Side – LOVE IT

As a girl in her 20’s I have often found myself regretting decisions I have made, things I have said. I am not sure there is a person in this world that has not at one time or another felt this way.
In 2011 I found peace.

I started to realize that all the wrong turns I made in life were the right ones. I am exactly where I am today because of the things I did and said, good and bad.

I was not a runner growing up. I did not run cross country or track in high school. I am what I would consider a late bloomer. At times I have wondered what my life would be like if I had been active as a child or if I had been pushed to do sports from a young age. I felt sad that I spent a good portion of my childhood reading, my high school years feeling shy and inadequate, and my college years being a mess [literally and figuratively].

I’m not sad anymore. All the experiences of my life have made me who I am today. People ask me how I find time to train with three little kids. I don’t find time I MAKE TIME. I push myself because I know I do not like life with out running. I like challenging myself. I love pushing myself harder than I thought possible. I like DREAMING BIG and then breaking through those dreams and coming up with new ones.

Every mile I run gets me closer to who I want to be……

I do not regret anything in my life. Yes there are plenty of things I wish I did differently – but who knows maybe I wouldn’t be a marathoner if I had.

Riding my marathon high for as long as I can….

Have I told you lately how much I love running?

Do you have regrets? Or do you know inside you are who you are because of all the right and wrong decisions you have made?

Comments

1. Celia says:

Sometimes I wonder where I would be if I had started running earlier since I didn't do cross country or track in school like a lot of others. I loved figure skating though and shunned running (my parents were runners) so I can't say I have regrets exactly. I know I will keep improving since I have only been running 2 years and end up where I need to be :)

Celia – sometimes I wonder if I had started running earlier if I would be burnt out by now :) I also think it's fun starting running later in life – then you can keep improving like you said!!!

3. Lizzy says:

Regret is a waste of time! I love this post : )

I ran track in high school and college and it totally shaped who I am. But I'm a distance runner newbie. The longest distance in HS is the 2 mile. I ran the 400- a far cry between that and the marathon!

4. Jennifer says:

I'm a very late bloomer, in my 30's and just started running. I did my first half marathon after I turned 30 so I agree I feel like if I had the drive a few years ago like I do now maybe I'd be a little faster and better BUT I still get out there and run and push myself, plus working full time, plus being a mommy. I do want to have another baby next year so Dorothy has inspired me to keep running while pregnant AND I can push two kids in a jogging stroller because she is a rock star and can do 3 :)

5. BabyWilt says:

Beautifully said, I'm going to nick a line and link back to you from my blog.

I am very aware that I am the person I am today because of the path I have traveled. Without all the twists and turns I would not have arrived at where I am today. The great part? If I'm not happy with who I am or where I am at, I can ALWAYS make changes to become who I want to be and get where I want to go. It's never too late to take a different path or add variety to the scenery of the path you are on.

7. Carrie says:

Dorothy I know you carry a Nathan water bottle, which one specifically have you found works best? Also do you carry another little holder in your other hand?

8. ASHLEY says:

Wonderful post! You know I relate to this 100%. I admit, I teared up a little when reading it. :)

9. Jerilee E. says:

I regret all the years that I told myself I could NEVER be a runner! I wish that I would have tried to run further than a mile before the age of 30! BUT- I'm glad I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I still have lots of years left to enjoy and improve!
    Awesome job on your race!!

10. Jennifer P says:

I didn't do any sports when I was younger, and found swimming, cycling and running as a fat mid-20s newlywed. I love this post Dorothy and agree with you 100% – you need to make time for running after you have children. It isn't an option!

11. Christine says:

Great post!!! I started running in my late 20's and within the few years I'm running it taught me so much!! I do have regrets (almost daily) but I'm working on it and try to have a more positive outlook.

12. Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your
    post is simply excellent and i could assume you are
    an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow
    me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.