The marathon is a long race. So long so that my mind still can not truly wrap itself around the distance after running seventeen 26.2’s.

When racing – I no longer count how many miles to go. It is discouraging. Instead I find words, phrases, quotes that motivate me to keep going when I think the pain is not bearable.

The night before Columbus Marathon my best friend Ashley said – I have to go get my Dr. Bronner’s soap bottle. There is a quote on it – I think you will love.

Love it I did.

God has not promised skies always blue
Flower strewn pathways all our lives through!
God has not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain!
But God has promised strength for the day,
Rest for the laborer, light on the way!
Grace for the trial, help from above,
Undying sympathy, unfailing love!

The marathon will most likely hurt. God does not promise – peace without pain – but he can and WILL give you strength for the day. When you are tired in the last 10K remind yourself that pain is only temporary but a marathon is FOREVER.

Comments

1. thethinksicanthink says:

love that poem – I might write that down in my training log!

2. Wow, I totally needed that quote this morning! Thank you!

3. Nicole Wagner says:

Thank u! I am feeling so crappy right now. Slow unmotivated and discouraged:(

4. Jessica (Pace of Me) says:

love this! love dr. b's

you are so right and this is so true. i have been reflecting on this all week long. the fact that i know there will be pain and that especially that last 10k is going to be harder than hard – but i WILL have strength and i WILL persevere. i know god will give me strength, courage and fortitude for that day, and for all my days.

thanks for this and for all of your posts.

xxoo

5. LOVE THIS! And thank you, I needed that just now.

6. Each and every line in that poem holds deep meaning for me. I had never seen it before right now… thanks so much for sharing it with us :)

7. Jen @ Run for Anna says:

LOVE this!

8. Lauren @ The Running Cook says:

Thanks for passing on the inspiration! I had a very rough 20 miler yesterday and it was my last one before my first marathon. I was proud of myself for finishing 20, but the pain I was in made me have serious doubts about finishing all 26.2. Thank you again :)

9. Suz and Allan says:

Great poem! I'll have to write that one down!

10. That is a good poem! Yes God does not promise us the easy life but He does promise us His help. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4
    Thanks for the post!