I do not talk much about my goals for a marathon before a marathon. This year was the first year I even laid it out there that I had hopes of one day running a 3:10 marathon.

I have goals. I just do not always want to share them.

Why?

Race Outfit Ready To Go

In a marathon you NEVER know what will happen. You can train perfectly, eat perfectly, wake up and have the weather be perfect and still run what you consider a TERRIBLE race. I do not like the let down of that. I do not like feeling like my training was a waste.

I promised myself that I would stop feeling that way. I prayed and have asked that the pre-race stress be taken away from me – that whatever will be will be. I am calm and happy.

As runners many of us get wrapped up in the time on the clock. It is great wanting to achieve something and wanted to be elated with the outcome – the problem begins when we loose part of ourselves when the time on the clock is not what we wanted.

So what is my goal for tomorrow?

My goal is what it always is now. I am dreaming big. Dreaming Big means being happy with whatever the day gives me. If I run a 3:13 tomorrow I will be elated. If I run a 3:45 tomorrow I will still be happy. I had my 3rd baby 11 months ago. I NEVER repeat NEVER thought at this point last year when I was waddling my pregnant body around 40 pounds heavier, think that I would be able to one day say I am a 3:13 marathoner.

It is awesome. I am not going to lie. What I am going to say is that it is not the be all end all of life. There will always be runners faster than you and it does not make them any more of a runner. That is what is SO BEAUTIFUL about running. We all get it.Your fast is fast. Your hard is hard. We all understand because it is not about the pace you run. It is the fact that YOU RUN.

Some of you may argue with me on this, but I am pretty sure I am just as much of a runner as Kara Goucher is. Yes she is an elite sponsored by a huge running company and yes she is indeed light years faster than me BUT what we do is the same though. We lace up our shoes every day and push our bodies to the limit. We are both runners.

Remind yourself this tomorrow. No matter the time on the clock when you finish – you are still a marathoner. Find joy in the simple act of finishing. Only shed tears of happiness.

If you want to read an inspiring short tale of my friend Hungry Mom who set the huge goal for herself to qualify for Boston this year – CLICK HERE. She did not meet her goal but what she learned in the process was that the experience was worth far greater than a lower time on the clock – she got exactly what she needed.

Comments

1. The Samsons says:

This is so true! Finish well Dorothy :) and smile into the cameras 😉

2. myhighonlife says:

I absolutely love this post-it will be one that I save for days that are "bad races". I am a new-ish runner and I've always had a hard time calling myself a RUNNER because I am slow. But I have come to accept that it doesn't matter. Like you said–I'm out there doing it. I take pride in what I do. You can't compare yourself in terms of speed with other people. We all just have to keep working hard & it'll all fall into place.

Good luck tomorrow. Go out there and get 'em… and enjoy yourself! You're such an inspiration =)

3. Janice- The Fitness Cheerleader says:

Eeek! And here I was proud to have run my second fastest half marathon ever 11 mos after having baby #3, I was proud…. How on earth did you find time to train? I couldn't convince my kids to ride their bikes any further than 5 k with me.

Good luck in the MCM!

4. Love the outfit! I will be out cheering & snapping pics. I'll be looking for you and I will be wearing 8 more layers than you! :)

Good luck, have a great race!

5. You are honest, insightful and just all around amazing :)

Go get 'em, Dorothy! Show yourself what you can do!

6. Amanda@runninghood says:

you are amazing ! So inspirational to me. Good luck girl!!

7. Running for the Kitchen says:

well said! you are so wise and everything you said is so true. you will do great tomorrow and I hope you have fun!

8. Ted Braun says:

Really enjoy your posts.

9. Good luck tomorrow! Sending 3:10 vibes your way! :-)

10. Sarah Ann Kreps says:

When you need some extra strength tomorrow think about how many people you reach with your blog. Go get em love! You inspire ME!!

11. Jen @ Run for Anna says:

God's blessings on your race tomorrow. You will do great!

12. thethinksicanthink says:

I love your attitude towards running.

Good luck tomorrow!

13. Karen the "Hungry Mom" says:

woo you caught me off guard there at the end haha!! thanks, lady :) SEE YOU IN 7 HOURS!!!

14. Rebecca Samson says:

Wahoo- the count down is on. So excited to spectate! Run, Dorothy, Run! :)

15. Carla Runs The World says:

Good luck! I love the MCM last year, and even if you don't PR, you'll have a blast — it's a beautiful course and there's something special about having all volunteers be uniformed marines…

16. Mark Matthews says:

Great post here, and I'm just discovering your blog. Yes, a marathon always gives me what I need, but not always what I ask. It squeezes out your insides and shows them to you. And goals should be the beacon of light that guides you, not something that mocks you. It's strange how when I reach them it is both somber and sweet. I know it's been said before, but I try to think of a three-tiered goal: the "ideal" goal, the "it's also awesome goal" and a process goal that has nothing to do with time but just the experience. Good stuff here. And tacky to say, but seeing your gear laid out is inspiring. Mark Matthews

17. best buy panasonic cordless phone answering machine