While wasting time on facebook the other night I came across a post from Josh Cox. As soon as I read it I knew the fact that I was up so late, was for a reason.

I have big dreams – HUGE – for running and for my life. I do not typically share them. Why?

I have always been a person who cared what others thought. Why?

I never want to share my dreams because I do not want to hear anyone, not even one person, tell me they are impossible. I do not want someone to tell me I can achieve it and then go behind my back and say I am crazy. I keep my dreams to myself.

How then if I care about what others think can I teach my daughter and sons to be themselves, unapologetically themselves, and not care what others think? Am I not one of the biggest examples in their lives of how they should live their lives?

I am 29 years old – why on earth do I care what people do or do not think about my dreams?

They are mine and mine alone.

From this day forward – I no longer allow myself to care what others think of my dreams. I will ACHIEVE them. How do I know this? God’s plan for my life is bigger and greater than mine.

Here’s to putting it out there and not caring.

I WILL go under 3:10 in the marathon one day. It may not be this year, or the next or even the next…..but it WILL happen.

Put yourself out there….What’s your secret dream?

Comments

1. YES! I totally agree with you on this one! My "secret" dream is to get my PhD in History. I once told someone I didn't know too well this was what I wanted for myself. Response: "well when are you going to do this, time's a-tickin- you're almost 30." Uhm, who said life stops at 30?!?!

PS- you're totally getting that sub-3:10!

JC – You'll get that PhD! Just saying that makes me smile. Here's to you DREAMING BIG!

3. I have total faith in you that you can attain any goal you desire. And I'm super proud of you for putting yourself out there! What an amazing inspiration you are,leading by example.

4. I would love to do a marathon in 4 or under.

5. That's an awesome goal! (I'm still working on sub-5, lol). My major running goal is to run an ultra – I want to do a 50km on New Year's Day and hopefully work my way up from there. Life goal is to eventually go back to school – hello, "mature student" – once Spud is older and get my Masters in Archival Studies.

6. Sam Felsenfeld says:

Running-wise, sub-2:55 in a marathon is my goal. But that pales in comparison to my life goals, and really, I don't even know what those are. But you get a huge, huge, huge AMEN from me on "God's plan for my life is bigger and greater than mine" … that's all I need to know to be happy. Thanks so much for the perfect post at the perfect time!

7. TMB @ RACING WITH BABES says:

Love this! I'm a big dreamer too.

My big "secret" dream – Open a women's running shop, where I host clinics and group runs and training teams.

Running/Triathlon wise – 20 min 5K, a 1:45 half and a sub 5:30 half ironman – eventually

8. So true. I care way too much what people think, I am taking your words to heart – Thank you.

9. Annette@(running)In the Right Direction says:

Love the post. My secret dream is to one day qualify for Boston. I am realistic enough to say I am so far off from that…but I am open enough to say that I am on the right track…a long one, but the right one. The real step would be to put that out there! The thing is I have much smaller dreams to get to before that…so I am working on those with the big goal being the end.

question just because i see it on the side here. Thinking about trying nuun…any words on it?

10. Elizabeth says:

My dream is to continue to get faster for the next 10 years. I've heard you reach your peak at 7 years, but I want to defy that!

11. carljsamuelson says:

Not only to BQ, but to *run* Boston!

Healthy Body, Sick Mind? NO!!

I WILL DO IT.

12. {lifeasa}RunningMom says:

I want to run a marathon under 4:00. And yes, I would love to own a home one day too but shhh….that is my really big secret dream.

13. What an awesome example you are! Some running dreams:

BQ at my marathon this fall.
    Run Boston one day.
    Run a Ragnar Relay as an Ultra.

Other dream goal:

Have 4 children.
    Get my Bachelor's Degree in Education with a minor in History and Major in Theater Arts.

14. Jessica (Pace of Me) says:

Ok so you know I am full of dreams…lately there has been a little voice telling me that I am capable of so much more than I ever thought possible with my running. I can so relate to this post because I haven't wanted to "say it put loud" … But you're making me realize that is not being true to myself maybe, and maybe my belief in my dreams can even inspire others to reach for their stars just like you are inspiring me to do sio.
    So, with regards to my running, this 35 year old momma of three WILL SOME DAY speed through the streets of Beantown. This little seed of a dream is planted and thriving inside of my heart and I am going after it. I am dreaming big!

15. mickiruns says:

I honestly have so much I want to do.

Raise my kids right. Be someone my family is proud of. Run ultras. Do some tri's. Open a business. Live, without regret. Continue to love with all of my heart.

*sigh*

16. I'm so with you!
    3:10!!!!!

17. Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog says:

I just want to someday run a marathon.

18. luckymom2boys says:

I love this post and also reading other people's comments! There have been several times in my life someone has told me I cannot do something… and you know how great it felt to prove them wrong? This year I proved someone wrong and it was the most proud I have ever felt… who was that someone? It was myself.

This year I ran my first marathon after only run a few 5Ks. It has always been one of those goals that seemed unattainable but yet something I would like to do "someday." I decided this was the year. I have also run a half marathon and this weekend I will conquer another goal: to complete a triathlon. It has been so empowering to train and see what I am still capable of… just because I am a wife and a mother does not mean that I cannot be an athlete, too, and maybe even set a good example for my sons along the way.

I have no doubt you will crush that 3:10 marathon goal and I look forward to that post race recap! Stride on!

19. David H. says:

It's not so much a secret, but I want to do an ultramarathon next year. I just gotta get through a marathon healthy first!

20. Adrienne says:

You will definitely achieve your goal- that is not a dream at all!

21. Amanda@runninghood says:

I have written about this before too. So important to put our dreams out there and own them and say them as if they ARE! I'd like that sub 3:10..maybe sub 3:00 if I trained but I don't have that in me right now nor do I plan on working that hard anytime soon. I'd also like to write professionally someday.

22. I love this post!! So incredibly inspirational. Thank you for sharing that quote. One of my secret dreams is the same as yours – I would LOVE to go under 3:10 someday in the marathon. I would also love to someday work for myself…and to be a cross country coach.

Here's to never letting big dreams die!!

23. Allison says:

Love this! It drove me to post my first comment on a blog (love your blog!). My secret short term dream is to BQ this fall at MCM. Ekk! That sounds so exciting to say! I ran my first marathon this past spring in 3:50 and while I “only” have 15 minutes to slice off, it’s a scary task.

I've only told two people up until now because I don't want people to say that I’m nuts and am pushing myself too much. I’m working with a friend who wants me to build my mileage base and let the BQ come in time. I’m listening to his every word but I’d be kidding everyone if I didn’t admit that I would love to cross the finish and, hey! 3:34:59!

24. Christy says:

Never be afraid to share your dreams. But I completely understand. I haven't told too many people about wanting to complete a full ironman. Don't want to hear it, although I have heard it a lot lately.

Looking forward to sharing in your dream!! You can do it!

25. Allison says:

I love how the first time I read this blog entry (on my phone) I was in the car at swim practice. My two littlest boys were watching Superman and the Superman theme song was playing. LOVE IT!

Of course you will go sub-3:10. Duh. I don't mean to be flippant about your dream. Just seems so clear to me that you will get there and probably even faster than you think!

As for me, I am totally going to be on the podium (and winning too!) in my age group in races when I'm a senior. I'm not there today… In 40 years though, watch me. My coach is 72 years old and is doing it. I will be too.

People keep telling me I need to write a book too. Can't tell you how many have told me that. I just need to believe I can do it.

26. The Chicago referencing style is used in all subjects generally in books, newspapers, magazines as well as other publications.