Columbus Marathon has a unique way of tracking runners. Rather than the typical text messages or online tracking they will tweet your time or post it on facebook as you cross check points around the course.

I plan on being *this* happy on Sunday!

I signed up for it. This is a huge step in the right direction for me and here is why.

It stresses me knowing that people are tracking me or know how I am doing in a marathon as I run. This is why I enjoy doing marathons that NO one knows I am running. I secretly dash off and run 26.2 alone with out a care in the world.

Why does it stress me? Because I feel judged.

You know all those people who you tell your goal time to and they say oh you can do it – but secretly they think you can’t do it – and when you don’t do it then they say to someone else – oh I knew she couldn’t.

Do you think that statement just sounded crazy? Yes it does. My mind always thinks the worst. I think people are talking about me in a negative way because I am self conscious. I project my own insecurities onto others.

In reality – I’m pretty sure I am the only person who truly cares about the time I run in a marathon. Most people in my life were proud of me when I ran a 4:56 marathon and have no idea the difference between that and my 3:21. A marathon is a marathon to them.

It’s a step in the right direction, because I am not worried if people are judging me, talking about me, or thinking negative things. Why? Because most likely they are not doing any of those things, and if they are then I don’t want to be friends with them anyways.

I plan on using Tweet My Time to help me. I hope that the updates show me starting out slower and getting faster. I hope my projected marathon time gets better as the morning goes on. I also hope that if you see a tweet that you think a happy fast thought for me or you say a little prayer. I’m going to think of the virtual and real support group I have – I’m going to think of all the amazing people in my life and know that each and every one of you are routing for me and not against me.

The doubt demons won’t get the best of me this week. 4 more days.

You can find me on twitter HERE!

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

Ok first I have to say it is very cool that you can tweet your times. I get it about the times, very sacred thing…i love how you are turning this into a positive though :)

2. Run with Jess says:

I will totally send happy vibes out to you every time a tweet is posted!! Good Luck!!

3. Kortni says:

Can't you do FB too? I know you will run a great race!!

4. Zaneta says:

I signed up for tweet my time too! :) I can't wait til sunday! Cbus is my first full marathon!! EEk!! And now I have a cold… great! lol… I still am excited tho! :) my twitter is @superwoman4002

5. Kristen says:

I will most definitely be following your race on Sunday! Good luck!

6. Rachel @ Runner's Tales says:

Disney does the same thing! I really liked it even though I also felt like I would be judged. In the end, people left encouraging messages that were great to read when I finished. Good luck on Sunday!

7. thethinksicanthink says:

Having three young kids and running AT ALL seems like an accomplishment in and of itself to me! Running a marathon and having three young kids makes you superwoman.

GOOD LUCK!

Also, I love how you called it your "doubt demons." I sometimes dub mine the "doubt dragons" as if I'm some medieval princess fighting them.

8. Katie M says:

Hi Dorothy, I will be sending you speedy thoughts. I just finished my PR marathon–Chicago last Sunday–with a 3:15. I always start fast but I wonder what I could do if I tempered my pace a little. I think the 3:10 is within my grasp now. It is incredible to think that, since I used to run marathons around 4 hours. Thanks for your inspiration! I can't imagine running a marathon in 2 weeks like you will do with your two!

9. Ok, I've been going back and forth on getting on Twitter for months now and just reading this post talked me into it!! I just set up an account so you know I'll be following you Sunday! :-)
    My twitter is: tstonerunnermom

10. ASHLEY says:

Dorothy! I'm SO proud of you! (I hope that doesn't sound weird/condescending). I would still admire you to the moon and back if you were the DEAD LAST FINISHER at Columbus. Whiiiich wouuld obviously never happen. I'll be tracking you just so I can feel like I'm there cheering for you. You are amazing — I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that you're going to surprise yourself beyond your wildest dreams. And even if for some odd reason you don't, you still rock. BIG.HUGS.

11. ASHLEY says:

P.S. You look gorgeous!!

12. XLMIC says:

You are going to tear up the asphalt on this one, woman! I am so excited to get the tweets! I have those same thoughts, btw.

13. I can't wait to see those tweets! I think the best thing about telling people about your goals is that you have that many people pulling for you and putting positive thoughts out into the universe to help you meet that goal. And you know what? Those same people are there after the fact to celebrate with you or (God forbid) comfort you if it doesn't go your way.

You are going to KILL it. I can't wait to read all about it. You really do inspire me.

Good luck!

14. Nicole Wagner Makeup says:

Dorothy! you are going to do GREAT! who cares what negative people think. The rest of us are cheering for you and GENUINELY wishing you GREAT success! run your heart out girly!!

15. Carolina John says:

I hope you have a fantastic race! They did the same thing with the Ironman world championship this past weekend in hawaii. My friends would have their checkpoint times posted on facebook so it was easy for us to keep up with how they were doing on the course. Loved it!

16. Elizabeth says:

I have been thinking a lot about this topic lately. It's like you and I need to do a flip-flop. I think I proclaim too loudly about my races and my goals and then I get stressed and I don't perform and I feel like I let everyone down. Whereas it seems like you are allowing yourself to be more bold, and deservedly so! Have a great race, Dorothy!!!

17. I really like the idea of an auto-tweet/facebook update. That way it's real time and you don't have to worry about updating when you finish so that all your friends don't worry that you've DNF. But, yes, that is kind of scary to have all your splits out in the open… hmmm.

Either way, have a GREAT RACE and I can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

18. Katie M says:

Just posted my race recap here http://howwerollkatiesblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/bank-of-america-chicago-marathon-race.html

I get inspiration from reading others' entries about their marathons. I thought you might do the same!
    Katie

I think we all worry what others will think of us. Even though I know that I am never thinking the negative things about others that I think they might be thinking about me. Such a waste of my time to think that others would somehow be unkind in their thoughts of me or my performance.
    When I do track other runners it is because I want to be inspired by what they can do. I want to learn to run/race better by seeing them do it.
    I'll be cheering for you and praying God powers out his blessings on you as you use the gift of running/inspiring others that He has given you. (Judging the outcome won't even cross me mind! And probably won't many others either.)

20. Jen @ Run for Anna says:

Dorothy, you are serioualy an inspiration to me no matter what your time in the marathon turns out to be. I, also, have all of those same thoughts as you do. Why do we do that to ouselves? Especially in the running community, I've found that people truly want everyone to succeed…there is no room for negative talk. Have a great race! I'm not on twitter, but I can't wait to read your recap!

21. Oh I'm so with you on this!!!!!

I. Could. Not. Agree. More.
    The two paragraphs below the awesome self portrait ….. You read my mind. Exactly my feelings.
    Girl. You know you've trained perfectly for this. You've got this.

22. Dorothy you are amazing!! Don't let satan tell you any differently!! I know you are going to rock this marathon :)
    "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

Focus of Jesus and He will renew your strength and give you confidence to succeed in all you set out to do!! :)

23. keath says:

First off, that is an awesome feature. More races (or, more specifically, more timing companies) should do that. With so many people's network of running friends being spread out, it's far more helpful (and mobile) than having to go to a site and look up each person you're "following."

Second, great plan at using this to put yourself out there and suppress those doubt demons. Yes, there are people out there who will judge you, but you're absolutely right that THEY DON'T MATTER. Most people are good people and will just be excited for you to do the best you can on race day – whether that means cheering with you if you're happy with how it turns out or lifting your spirits if you feel disappointed with the result. The people that know that taking a minute off your marathon is intensely more difficult than it sounds.

Best of luck in Columbus!

24. Danielle says:

I love your blog. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading my own journal. It helps me realize that I am not the only one who struggles with negative thinking or self conscious feelings. You help put things into perspective Miss Dorothy :) As for the Tweeting, I think its exciting. You are still going to be an inspiration no matter what! But we all know that you are going to rock it out and do amazing.
    P.s- I received the Devotional in the mail and I can not thank you enough. I am so grateful that I was the lucky winner winner chicken dinner 😉

25. Christine says:

YEAH! Good for you!! I can tally understand how you feel, I'm very similar and I'm proud of you for facing your "fears" and doubts! You are already a winner!

26. workout mommy says:

i completely "get" this! I always sign up under a fake name so people can't look up my times! :)

I look forward to seeing your (fast) tweets. Good luck and have fun!