Before my 20 miler on Saturday I looked up what I did for my last 20 miler before B & A in 2010. I looked this up on my blog……my blog helps me remember things….moments……so I am introducing a new weekly post. THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY Tuesday – it will be filled with random thoughts. Read on if you have any interest in my ramblings, if not, no hard feelings – these posts are mostly for me to remember all the wonderful things that happen in life.
1. My last 20 miler before B & A done. Mile 17 was an 8:18. Last mile 7:07 pace. My last 20 miler before a marathon is typically my hardest, most discouraging run of the training cycle. I didn’t exactly finish it feeling strong, but I didn’t feel weak either. I haven’t been talking much about my marathon – I prefer to talk about things after they happen. The reality is in the marathon you do not know what the day will bring. You can put in all the work and be in the best shape of your life and still end up with a result you don’t want. On the flip side you can have a less than perfect training cycle and end up pr’ing because your body isn’t broken down. I’ll be chatting about B & A Marathon non stop in 3 weeks AFTER I’ve run it.
2. Cleaning out my closet. This weekend I did a MAJOR purge. If I haven’t worn you in over a year or two then it was time to go no matter how much I liked you. I also decided that I never ever ever want to be a size 25 in jeans again. It’s way too small for what my body wants to be and only fits when I don’t have strong leg muscles. I happen to think STRONG legs are beautiful – so I’m embracing my curves and getting rid of those jeans. I also happen to think that all this muscle on my body gets me to the finish line of marathons PRETTY darn fast – so if I’m not the smallest girl in the room I don’t care – my goal is to be the fastest [wink wink].
3. It’s Valentines Day. I’ll admit that up until this year I looked at Valentines Day as a day for couples, people in love. I have a NEW outlook on it this year. Valentines Day is a day to show your love – to each and every person that you care about. You don’t have to buy them flowers or send a card – it only takes a moment to send a text or a tweet and let someone know you are thinking of them and that they are important to you. This year is extra special because I have three little valentines who have totally embraced the holiday. When Miles snuck in to my room at 4:30 and asked if he could snuggle me – I told him to hop in and wrapped my arms around him. We both fell asleep snuggling. It was the BEST Valentines morning ever.
4. Making new friends. Colton and I met up with Meg today for coffee [though I had already OD'ed on coffee for the day so I didn't get any]. Meg happens to be a kick butt marathoner who I met through my blog. I’m coaching her right now to another speedy marathon. I am pretty sure the speed has nothing to do with my plan but ALL to do with the fact that this girl doesn’t make excuses EVER and is one of the most committed athletes I’ve ever met. Oh and she is getting married this week – the week that also happens to be her peak mileage week of 70 miles. I emailed her asking if there was any way she was going to be able to run this many miles this week with all that she has going on and she said to me – I don’t commit to something that I do not plan to do 100% – I’ll fit in 70 miles. Pretty sure she is going to be blasting past me at a marathon soon.
5. HomeGoods. I’m officially obsessed with this store. This little FAMILY sign makes me happy every single time I read it.
6. Side buns. As a WAY TOO BUSY mom of three kids I need to find hairstyles that can look OK in a matter of minutes. I’m loving the side bun at the moment. Looks like I actually tried – instead of just throwing up my hair. Bonus points – my friend said my hair looked cute at pre-school drop off
7. Super speedy runs. I had ZERO time this morning to squeeze in a run after Chloe left for school and before Miles needed to head to pre-school so I squeezed in a super speedy 6 miles finishing at a 6:30 pace. Whoop Whoop.
8. LIFE. Isn’t it grand? It’s nutty, crazy, overwhelming, beautiful, mixed up and all over the place especially as a mom of three who runs marathons – but in reality I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m feeling extra blessed today.
Hope you are having a wonderful Valentines Day. What are some things that recently made you happy?