Not long after I wrote my post on the Saucony Kinvara, I transitioned to them full time. I said in that post that I would not give up my Ride’s anytime soon, and to be honest I did not think I was going to.

*The Kinvara’s are awesome in my opinion but they are not going to make me magically faster. I won’t be throwing out my Saucony Ride’s any time soon.*

The more I ran in the Kinvara the better they felt and the less I wanted to run in the Ride. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked the Ride, but it is just not the shoe for me anymore.

After a year of running in the Kinvara I slowly upped the amount of weekly runs in them. The longest run I have now gone in them is 24.2. It felt great. I’m on my second pair of the summer and just broke out my 3rd pair to get some miles on them before Columbus Marathon. I normally race in the Saucony A4’s but wanted to mix things up for this marathon.

I started to feel some arch pain because I have VERY high arches and find that in just about every running shoe I have ever run in, I need more arch support than the insert provides. I put a rigid insert in them called Super Feet.

If you are thinking about transitioning to a minimalist shoe the Kinvara is a good first step. You do not want to run every day in them right away. The heel to toe ratio is very different than in regular running shoes and can place stress on underdeveloped muscles.

Note: If you are not neutral these types of shoes will effect you even more than a person who runs neutral naturally.

If you want to read more on making the transition check out this good article from Runner’s World.

Today is the LAST day to enter my Endorphin Warrior Giveaway!

Comments

1. Nicole Wagner says:

Okay dOrothy I have a few questions. First off. I am a neutral runner. I land on the outsides of my feet. I have VERY high arches too. Sauconys are the best fit for me I have found. Okay, so I bought these kinvaras and just raced my 10k in them on sat. Loved them but I have a lot of pain in my arch now???
    I am curious to know more about this minimalist running shoe stuff. I have heard that can help me run more efficiently… Thoughts? Is this why you have made the switch?? Thanks!!

2. Those are my absolute favorite shoe, too! I have the exact same colors as you also :). If you love the Kinvaras….you may want to try out the new Cortana. Same Last as the Kinvaras but with more cushioning under the forefoot for mid-foot strikers. Not as flexible but have the same low heel-drop as the Kinvaras.

3. Nicole Wagner says:

Oh I have one more question….you said you wear a support for your arch… what kind? and how does it help? i've heard mixed info on this….

4. Love LOVE the Kinvaras! I have 3 pair that I rotate right now. The blue and pink are my favorite- such fun colors. I ran my second marathon in them! I have started using the new Cortana's for my long runs and love them so far, too. I love Saucony. Did I used the word 'love' enough in this comment? ;)

5. I also run in the Kinvara 2s and use a Super Feet insert!

6. Suz and Allan says:

I really love the color of the shoes. So nice to find great shoes that look good too! I have really high arches too so I feel your pain literally.

Nicole – the insert I put in my shoes are Super Feet. I wear the green ones. You take out the insole that is already in the shoe and replace it with this one. They say it only lasts for 500 or so miles, but I will be honest and tell you that I have never thrown a pair out. I just rotate them down to shoes I don't wear as often.

8. Brigid @ Live Breathe Huzzah says:

I have a pair of Kinvaras too! (I think the original, white & pink.) I wear them for speedwork and races. Let me tell you, my feet felt light as a feather in my 15K :) I have high arches, and am on the cusp of neutral/overpronation. I have had no issues with my Kinvaras (granted they aren't my ONLY shoe).

9. Nicole Wagner says:

thanks Dorothy…I am going to look into these….where do you get yours if you don't mind me asking?

10. how many miles do yours last? I've got about 150 miles on my pair and the outsole is pretty worn. I am going to look into the Cortona as I love the lack of heel drop but wish they had a little more padding.

11. saucony running shoes says:

Good looking shoe! Thank you for sharing this.
    I love Saucony!